» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 44

0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Charcoal Basket Designs

Thought I'd start a thread about how we make our charcoal baskets so that anyone wanting to make one will be able to get it right the first time. I'm hoping to see several different designs here for different applications, e.g. Side fire box, drum smokers, on down to what ever you have modified to use a charcoal basket.

Here's my 12" X 12" X 6" wall design used in the Chargriller Duo. It could be shorter on the side walls, but works well.

I fold the extra inch on the length of the walls around the corner and tack weld them in place or fold and lock them together. They can be wired, bolted, or even cut and hook the ends through the holes to lock it in place.

Here's a pic showing the lower left corner how I locked it together on this basket.

Attached Images
    Last edited by PigCicles; 03-27-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Default Drum Basket Design

Here's the basket design I recently put together while working on getting the drum smoker(s) going.

It has a 5 in side wall. You'll need a piece of expanded metal approx. 19" square to fit to the bottom, then trimmed to fit the finished diameter of the side wall.

I worked mine by hand and foot until it formed enough of a circle to get it bolted together - then tack welded the joint. After that I tacked on the square bottom, then trimmed it to the size of the wall.

This will need feet to lift it off the bottom approx. 4". You can use bolts (burn off any zinc or galvanized material from them) with washers and nuts.

Here's some pics showing what I did...

Attached Images
    Last edited by PigCicles; 03-27-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    It has a 5 in side wall. You'll need a piece of expanded metal approx. 19" square to fit to the bottom, then trimmed to fit the finished diameter of the side wall.
    This is almost exactly what I'm planning on for my drum. I'm going to take one of those 12x24" sheets of expanded metal from HD/Lowes, cut it in half, and use it for the sidewalls. I figure it'll be about 16" across, which'll fit nicely on a Weber coal grate.

Just as another idea, what about folding the corners of that 19" square up around the sidewalls? Then someone could hold the entire thing together with bolts.

Pics as the thing get's built.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Yeah Rob you could do that, but bending that short of an area up and to match the radius will be a pain. I thought about doing that myself, even with tacking it in place it would give more area to tack it on tight.

If you know the diameter of basket you want you can calculate the length by using this circumference calculator...

http://www.athropolis.com/popup/c-circ2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    If you know the diameter of basket you want you can calculate the length by using this circumference calculator...

http://www.athropolis.com/popup/c-circ2.htm
    Thanks for the link. That'll make things a lot easier for my calculator.

My plan is to work, for this drum, with what I can find at local hardware stores or chains. That way anyone can use what I did and get similar results. Since they're limited to that size, I'll do that, too. Later I may visit salvage yards or metalshops.

As for the corners, it would *definitely* be a pain. But, for someone without a welder, it would give several options for fastening.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Heres my no weld version, cut similar to Pig's, bent the tabs on the corners and added a couple bolts.....

By imn88fan
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Here's my basket I made for the C-G Duo's SFB. Bought the expanded metal at a local Ace hardware store, cut it with aviation tin snips, bent it in my vise, beat it with a 2lb. ball peen hammer a bit to get it's attention. I just wired the corners together figuring once it got hot things might expand or relax and cause gaps.
    I made it so the ash drawer would slide out with it in place. It holds plenty of charcoal mounded up.
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

I don't use charcoal baskets in my big offsets, but I have been using a Weber charcoal grate (supported by 4" lag bolts) and the charcoal ring from my WSM in my UDSs.

Recently, I had a buddy build me a couple of charcoal baskets for the UDSs. Again, using the Weber charcoal grates, 4" pieces of rebar for the legs and some expanded steel... These are a bit tall, but I didn't give him any specific directions for the build. I've been out of the country for a while, so I have not had the chance to use them yet, but I think they will work...

James.

My charcoal basket for the SDS (Silver Drum Smoker). 4' x 11", rolled and bolted together. It just sits on the expanded metal base.
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Here's one I made for one of my smokers.....

I had planned on using small hog rings to hold it together, but went with small bolts instead.

So far I like it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast