» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 43

0 members and 43 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Thread: Pork Belly

Default Pork Belly

I had my eye on a recipe for pork belly that I wanted to try to for a while and finally got around to it.

Picked up a whole belly with the ribs still attached

First order of business was to separate the ribs from the rest of the belly meat.........looks like I was going to have some spares to eat as well.

Cut the belly in half put one in the freezer for future projects and put the other in a marinade of water, evoo, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, rosemary, thyme, kosher salt, and pepper. Left it in the marinade over night.

Took it out of the marinade and decided to cut it in half to make it easier to handle later in the process. Put each piece in a pan and poured in the marinade as well as butter and a cup of water.

Cooked at 275 for 5 1/2 hours with apple wood for the smoke. Removed and let it rest covered in the pans 2 more hours. Removed an hit it with a glaze of bourbon, brown sugar, parsley, and apple cider vinegar.

Put the pieces back on the cooker at 375 for about another 20 minutes total, brought it in and let it rest for 10 or so as I got the sides finished up.

Forgot to take a sliced pic, but really didn't miss much, they kind of wanted to come apart and get messy during the slicing anyhow.

I was surprised at the flavor........guess I expected more of a bacon type flavor even though there was no cure. Tasted more like a pork roast. The texture was nice, fat was everywhere without feeling really greasy/fatty, but will have to tweak it to my tastes a little more if I bother with it again. Wasn't really worth the time committment/hassle as it was IMO.

Oh......and I cooked the ribs as well. They were kind of ugly (blame the butcher) and just done as an afterthought to the pork cooking, but they sure tasted good.

FBJ

that some killer grub got an pic of it sliced?
    How much per# was that?
    1 custom flame job UDS
    3 Weber Genesis 3 burner gassers
    2 weber 18.5 kettles
    1 Big Chief Smoker

SmokyOkie Guest

That wasw certainly interesting.

When I was in Argentina last time, they served us thin strips ( maybe 3/8") of grilled pork belly. It was cooked on a parilla and over direct but fairly low temps. The way they did it left it crispy yet juicy and no at all greasy.

I have been wanting to try to re create it ever since, but never got to it, and mostly because one doesn't find much pork belly around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    one doesn't find much pork belly around here.
    Tim,

Check RD.......it certainly isnt on every corner around here, but RD seemed to have a bunch of it if you are interested in playing around with it.
    FBJ

Looks great.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    Tim,

Check RD.......it certainly isnt on every corner around here, but RD seemed to have a bunch of it if you are interested in playing around with it.
    Wish we had one.

I see it from time to time at the Asian markets here in town, but I just haven't done it. Thanx for the suggestion Joe.

Yeah, what it looked like was like the piece on top ion your third pic, sliced about 3/8" thick, skinned and the excess fat one the one end removed, then grilled. It was great.

Nice project Joe. It looks good and I bet they both had good flavor too. What are you going to do with the rest of the belly? Gonna make bacon?

Thanks for sharing it with us buster.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    What are you going to do with the rest of the belly?
    Haven't really given it much thought.
    FBJ

Based on the amount of fat at one sitting, I'd never think to prepare belly any other way than bacon.
    Sounds interesting though. Did you serve it with a side of Lipitor?
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    That wasw certainly interesting.

When I was in Argentina last time, they served us thin strips ( maybe 3/8") of grilled pork belly. It was cooked on a parilla and over direct but fairly low temps. The way they did it left it crispy yet juicy and no at all greasy.

I have been wanting to try to re create it ever since, but never got to it, and mostly because one doesn't find much pork belly around here.
    Ya get what ya ask for.
    Check with Paradise Meats, we might pick some up while there over Easter. I'd do some.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne