Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

3 members and 20 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CharGriller Owners...

What mods have you made to your Chargriller grills/smokers?

I have a SuperPro w/ sfb.

Mods already made:
    • Extended the stack to grate level using flex hose.
    • Lined the bottom of the grill/smoker with aluminum printing plates
    Future mods include:
    • Raising the coal grate in the sfb to allow me to remove the drawer and dump the ashes.
    • Build a coal basket
    • Possibly installing a thermometer at grate level
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

I don't have the larger Pro series, just the duo. Which I haven't done a lot of mods to, but have a few done.

I have made a charcoal basket

Originally I turned the charcoal grate over and used it for a baffle, which worked pretty well. But liking to tinker a bit I put in a baffle and tuning plates which I don't have the pics for right now. But I'll try to get a few.

I need to lower the stack to grate level. I just haven't taken the time to do that.

Also I've been thinking of using some ceramic plates in the cooking chamber to insulate the heat back into the cooking area. Do those aluminum plates help much?
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Do those aluminum plates help much?

I did it because some of the other guys at work have done it (monkey see, monkey do ). Supposedly helps with the bottom rusting out. We'll see... Figger that it can't hurt to try it.
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Future mods include:
    • Raising the coal grate in the sfb to allow me to remove the drawer and dump the ashes.
    • Build a coal basket
    • Possibly installing a thermometer at grate level
    Chuck, you do these few mods, especially the basket, you'll have yourself a top notch smoker!!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

I'm like PigCicles, have the C-G Duo.
    Made a charcoal basket. Lowered the stack intake to grate level with 4" dryer duct. Flipped the charcoal pan, which works OK.
    Not a "premium smoker", but it is OK for "small smokes", I don't use it for big stuff or long smokes. Thing leaks smoke/heat a good bit. Guess a little work in those areas might give a decent improvement.
    Wonder about putting 12" x 12" ceramic tiles in the bottom???? Not sure anything would get better.
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Default Chargriller Mods

( I cant figure out how to make the picture bigger)

I read your post about the Chargriller mods. After a lot of trial and error this is the best set up for one that I have found.

If you can tell by the picture I bought 2 thermometers and placed them just below the grates. (The original thermometer is a POS.) This insures the temp at the grate to be accurate. I had them just above the grate and I lost 2 inches of grate space, hense the silver plugs beside the lifting handle.

I have tried different baffles in the cooking chamber and the best one I come up with is a 14 ga stainless plate. If memory is correct it is about 17" wide and 11" long. It forces all the heat and smoke clear across the cooking chamber below the grates keeping both thermometers the same temp for an even heat. (I tried different lengths and this one worked the best for me)

I too removed the sbc grate and put in a charcoal rack in its place.

I added a piece of rolled steel tube into the chimney to bring it down to about 1" from the grate.

A basket is a necessity also. It works great for indirect heat in the main cooking chamber. You will use less charcoal and the heat stays more constant.

I always line my Chargriller with a couple layers aluminum foil and add a thick layer of sand (at least 2 inches) to the bottom of the cooking chamber to retain the heat. When sand gets hot it stays hot, no loss of temp. It also makes clean up a lot easier too. I can keep a constant 200~225 for a couple hours easy before adding a handful of charcoal or some wood.

I hope this helps.....

Default Chargriller Mods

I read your post about the Chargriller mods. After a lot of trial and error this is the best set up for one that I have found.

If you can tell by the picture I bought 2 thermometers and placed them just below the grates. (The original thermometer is a POS.) This insures the temp at the grate to be accurate. I had them just above the grate and I lost 2 inches of grate space, hense the silver plugs beside the lifting handle.

I have tried different baffles in the cooking chamber and the best one I come up with is a 14 ga stainless plate. If memory is correct it is about 17" wide and 11" long. It forces all the heat and smoke clear across the cooking chamber below the grates keeping both thermometers the same temp for an even heat. (I tried different lengths and this one worked the best for me)

I too removed the sbc grate and put in a charcoal rack in its place.

I added a piece of rolled steel tube into the chimney to bring it down to about 1" from the grate.

A basket is a necessity also. It works great for indirect heat in the main cooking chamber. You will use less charcoal and the heat stays more constant.

I always line my Chargriller with a couple layers aluminum foil and add a thick layer of sand (at least 2 inches) to the bottom of the cooking chamber to retain the heat. When sand gets hot it stays hot, no loss of temp. It also makes clean up a lot easier too. I can keep a constant 200~225 for a couple hours easy before adding a handful of charcoal or some wood.

I hope this helps.....

One more thing, I clicked on the thumbnail on PeticularMikes post and saw he has the basket sitting the the original charcoal grate in the sbc. You dont really need a basket for there, you just need to put a piece of expanded in place of the grate. This keeps your heat closer to the cooking chamber and you will use a lot less charcoal or wood. I do have to disagree about not being able to do long smokes on the CG, if done properly you can smoke on it for 24 hrs and only use about 2 bags of charcoal and keep constant heat.

I had one and made it work pretty dang good. I fashioned some wire coat hangers to wrap around the side rails of the grates so as to hold up those foil cookie sheets you can pick up at the grocery store. Made for a nice cleanup and made the heat stay low and roll around the sides of the sheets. Temp was pretty even across the cook surface. And I did what you already did and lowered the stack to grate level.

Shot of hanger

Detail of bends

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    One more thing, I clicked on the thumbnail on PeticularMikes post and saw he has the basket sitting the the original charcoal grate in the sbc. You dont really need a basket for there, you just need to put a piece of expanded in place of the grate. This keeps your heat closer to the cooking chamber and you will use a lot less charcoal or wood. I do have to disagree about not being able to do long smokes on the CG, if done properly you can smoke on it for 24 hrs and only use about 2 bags of charcoal and keep constant heat.
    Dave, mine is the Duo, like PigCicles. A bit smaller than the regular CG. It's "OK". I use it when I need more capacity. It is also ideal for cold smoking cheese.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast