» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 33

0 members and 33 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

Default My review of B&B Lump Hardwood Oak Charcoal

I purchased a 20# bag of B&B Lump Oak charcoal and tried it this week and thought I would share my findings with you.

The price was $12 and change at Academy Sports, which makes it about 50% higher than my standard lump charcoal. It was in a 20# bag, which is a little harder to handle than the 10 pounders I am used to, but at the same time, it would save a trip or two to the shed for more bags. the bag was stitched shut, but very close to the edge which made for an easy "Zip" open.

When I poured some out to light it, I saw several fairly large rounds ( maybe as large as 5" diameter, and equally as long), among a lot of little pieces of "slack". Those familiar with buying heating coal will know what I mean by slack. The product appears to be made from branch trimmings as opposed to sawmill trimmings.
    Many of the pieces were just too big to burn and still get even heat and I had to break them up a bit. It wasn't hard to break up, but is was a little messy and just a bit of a hassle.

It lit easily, and hard a nice long hot burn. It also had a very nice oak aroma to it as it burnt..

The spark factor rated on a one to ten with then being semi fireworks was about a 6.5 by my experience.

Overall, I would rate it a 7 out of 10 possible, with my standard reliable being a 9.5. I would probably buy it again if I wasn't able to get me regular brand.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 02-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.

TIM: Remind me what your normal perfered brand is.? Good review and it was appreciated. I have not tried it. I am still mixing briquetts with my lump to use up a bunch I bought but it will take me a while.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

SmokyOkie Guest

I don't want to be unfair to the folks at B&B.

PM sent

I was wondering your normal brand too. I have only tried one type of lump, the Mexican mesquite and didn't care for it at all. I want to try a couple of others I have heard about but can't get it until spring/summer here. The stores don't have it out in the winter. Its Fricking SOcal, there is no winter here, they think people don't fire up the grills unless its 90 degrees outside?
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Thanks for the review! if I see it here I will have to grab a bag.

The only lump I can seem to find with any consistency is Kiawe. It tastes pretty good but sparks enough I keep the hose charged and by the grill. Home Depot carries Cowboy but I don't really like it (at all). I ran across 3 bags of Royal Oak lump and grabbed them yesterday. Anyone use it before? Anything weird I should be on the lookout for?
    UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

From my experiences Royal oak has been good .
    Casual and Competitive Cooking
    Traeger 124 (sold)
    Backwoods Ext Party Rolling on 10's (sold)
    Original Oklahoma Joes 20" with Vertical Chamber
    Weber Genesis gasser
    Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
    PS custom
    http://www.partyshacksmokers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Partyshack BBQ View Post
    From my experiences Royal oak has been good .
    Thats about the only brand i can get here.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

SmokyOkie Guest

Verm, I odn;t thin you would be able to get my favorite brans where you live.

In fact, it's getting in short supply because all the sawmills that supply the furniture business in NW Arkansas have been shutting down due to lack of demand.

As to Royal Oak, they appear to have to different types, and I think I have tried both.

they have American hardwood, and the one that doesn;t say that on it it South American.

By my experience, all the South American products are extremely sparky, and very difficult to use.

I don't know if it is the tyoe of woods they use or the mfg process.

I opened the bag to check it out, there are some HUGE pieces in there. overall it looks ok though. The bag says it's a "steak house" charcoal. I don't know if it's any different than their other stuff. I reckon it's a marketing thing.
    UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

Default The Naked Whiz

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    I opened the bag to check it out, there are some HUGE pieces in there. overall it looks ok though. The bag says it's a "steak house" charcoal. I don't know if it's any different than their other stuff. I reckon it's a marketing thing.

Royal Oak markets 5 different charcoals. The steakhouse is pretty good but doesn't last as long as the Royal Oak hard wood.

Go to this website and you will find out more about charcoal than you thought possible. The Montana Brand Lump you can order and they will ship to you. Very Pricy!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

With the gas prices we may all have to start making our own?
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast