Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 16

4 members and 12 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Water pan in UDS??

The concept of a water pan to keep the meat moist makes sense, but it seems to mainly be used in offsets, so does anyone use one in their UDS?? If so how is it set up and can you post some pics?
    ---TROY--

I tried it once by hanging an additional cooking grate 4" or so below my main cooking grate. Because of the volumn of water I had trouble getting the temps up and my cook time was much longer than I wanted. Since then I have not tried a water pan. For 4 or 5 years I used an ECB Propane with a water pan and had no problems but unless it was 100 out side I had trouble getting my temp up until my water level got low (empty).
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Was the low temp because of all the humidity or was the pan large and blocking the heat? If it's the pan size I wonder if a smaller pan could be used or set off to the side enough to evaporate the water but not block the heat.
    ---TROY--

Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
    The concept of a water pan to keep the meat moist makes sense, but it seems to mainly be used in offsets, so does anyone use one in their UDS?? If so how is it set up and can you post some pics?
    Repeat after me......

A water pan in a smoker is NOT used to add moisture to meat. It's used as a heat sink or heat deflector.
    The drum has an extremely moist cooking enviroment as it is. A water pan is going to cause you to burn more fuel and you'll have no chance of getting a bark on your meat.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

I have been using a water pan in my drum. Never had any problems that I noticed. I will try the next few times without it and see if I can tell any difference.

As far as the bark, I always get bark on my stuff with the water pan. Maybe not as good as without the water pan, I dunno...
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
    Repeat after me......

A water pan in a smoker is NOT used to add moisture to meat. It's used as a heat sink or heat deflector.
    The drum has an extremely moist cooking enviroment as it is. A water pan is going to cause you to burn more fuel and you'll have no chance of getting a bark on your meat.
    Really? Well I learned something today. I got the idea it helped keep it moist from watching BBQ Pitmasters. Myron Mixon made that claim
    *please don't hold that against me if you don't like the show* LOL
    ---TROY--

AGHhhhhhh Ya'll givin me a headache!!! UDS = no water pan! ECB =water pan! IF you put a water pan in your UDS you are robing yourself of the added flavor of the juices from the meat dropping into the fire and being returned to your food as added flavor. Fact!!!

The water pan in an ECB or a WSM is there as a heat sink . In the ECB it is the sole means for controlling the temps because there is no way to regulate the fire by controlling the air.FACT!!!

In the WSM it's main purpose is to prevent scorching of the food on the lower rack because of its proximity to the fire. It doesn't add any moisture to the food. If you want to add moisture to the meat you must inject or brine.FACT!!!

The Water pan dose not keep it from drying out. You can dry out a piece of meat in a pressure cooker by over cooking it. In fact it makes for a softer bark, or prevent the Bark from forming all together. There are plenty of cooks out there that don't use the water pan in the WSM if they are not cooking on the bottom rack. FACT!!!

IF you want to go to all the trouble of messing with a water pan BY all means just do it, but "Please ! !" "Please!!" I'm Better now!!
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
    Really? I got the idea it helped keep it moist from watching BBQ Pitmasters. Myron Mixon made that claim
    A Jack's Old South pit is WAY BIGGER than a UDS. It's possible that he needs/wants the extra humidity.

Like Bubba said . . . plenty of humidity in a UDS without a water pan.

Dave
    UDS 1.0a
    Brinkmann Smoke 'N Pit with Afterburner
    Charbroil Masterflame
    Maverick ET-73
    Taylor 1470 Digital Thermometers
    Taylor 9842 Instant Read Thermometer
    Blue Thermapen

BluDawg needs to take 10 deep breaths and calm down: FACT!!! LOL
    Man, I didn't know you were so sensitive about water pans !! I promise I will not put a water pan in my UDS for fear of giving you a heart attack.
    ---TROY--

You give up to easy. BluDawg is just getting started.
    Oscar

3 UDS, Treager pellet pooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast