usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 76

2 members and 74 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Grlling Veggies and "Heart Health"

Now its pretty "easy" to grill meat (IMHO), and "foiling" veggies, like carrots, turnip, brussel sprouts and parsnips together wil give some great starchy veggies with any given dinner; likewise "foiling" potato and onion, or semi unhusked corn with garlic is kind of "old hat", but getting some of the "other" veggies done up well on the grill requires a bit more of a "trick"...

So I was hugely pleased when my son came home from "Chef School" (he is now a "rated" Professional Chef, I could not be prouder!) about a year ago and demanded that he cook dinner, and do so on my "exclusive" gas grill.

So getting home from work about 1730 or so, I was "upset" that his activities were not in motion...I need hardly have worried!

His concept (for veggies) was to take 4 oz of Rice Wine Vinegar, 8 oz of corn oil, 1 oz of grated garlic, 2 tsp fresh grated thume, 1 tbsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp fresh grated black pepper.

You take mini-heads of cauliflower and broccholi, some "grape" or "cherry" tomato's, chunks of zucchini (if you can stand the stuff!) yellow squash, quartered mini "sweet" onions, or "wedged" Vidalias and hook these up on skewers (use your imagination!) and marinate these, and simply "grill" over medium high heat for a few minutes, turning to "toast" them nicely...The results are extraordinary!

This same marinade was used with back ribs (okay, a little off topic!) with the bones "peeled" of the membrane and coated with Lowry's, garlic powder, onion powder and so on.

You run up across a lot of "home made" stuff, but this meal was prepped and served in about 45 minutes, and was positively "restaurant" grade! (as in "tip heavy, that the cook gets paid something significant, too!)

We all tend to eat heavy on the pork, Chix, Beef and so on, but this is a "heart healthy" thing, that we can all benefit from and enjoy!

John

Dr. DOH,
    I have never marinated veggies (except for a salad). I may have to give that a try. It sounds good.

I'll have to try this.

I am glad we are finally above 40* this week, as grilling asparagus and corn on the cob are family favorites.

Will try the marinade on some spears.

Thanks
    Bill-Chicago

WSM, Bandera, Kettle, ECB, Kenmore Gasser 36qt Turkey Fryer

John,
    Sounds good. I think I'll try the veggies with some beer can chicken this weekend.
    Florida Bill