usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 26

8 members and 18 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: No Salt

Default No Salt

While I got the time to post I might as well go all out.

My brother has Menieres disease and has to watch his sodium intake, he is allowed about 1200 MG per day of sodium. Seeing a glass of milk is 300 MG that is not much to go on.

The problem is everyting in BBQ is very high in salt. I know he loves brisket, but I don't want to cook it and either make him sick or have him watch others eat it in front of him.

Any tasty rubs, marinades, or brines that require no salt? I tried using Mrs. Dash, but the flavour just wasn't the same.

Thank you
    Jay

Anyone ever do a brisket wih no seasoning?
    Last edited by Just J; 01-22-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Another thought

Jay try my "Bull Dust" It has NO salt.I usually use it in an injection and S&P on the outside. It is flavorful and should work well to produce a nicel Bark. I know wooster sauce has a fair amount of Sodium in it. If you where to dilute a tbs in 3-4 tbl spoons of water and apply it to the surface of the meat prior to applying the rub it would add to the flavor and keep the salt in check IMHO.

Bull Dust

1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbl granulated garlic
    2 tbl onion powder
    1 tbl Mexican Oregano
    1 tbl Gebharrdt's Chile powder
    2 tbl lemon pepper
    1 tsp cumino (Cumin)
    2 tsp dry mustard powder
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    Jay try my "Bull Dust" It has NO salt.I usually use it in an injection and S&P on the outside. It is flavorful and should work well to produce a nicel Bark. I know wooster sauce has a fair amount of Sodium in it. If you where to dilute a tbs in 3-4 tbl spoons of water and apply it to the surface of the meat prior to applying the rub it would add to the flavor and keep the salt in check IMHO.

Bull Dust

1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbl granulated garlic
    2 tbl onion powder
    1 tbl Mexican Oregano
    1 tbl Gebharrdt's Chile powder
    2 tbl lemon pepper
    1 tsp cumino (Cumin)
    2 tsp dry mustard powder
    That looks like a good rub...just one word of caution...pay attention to what brand of lemon pepper you use...McCormick lists salt as it's first or second ingredient...Lawry's isn't any better in the salt department. Mrs. Dash makes a no-salt lemon pepper that I like...or, if you're really ambitious and have a dehydrator...make your own with dehydrated lemon zest and peppercorns...

L8r,
    Eric

Watch out for the dash, and other salt free stuff. Its sometimes pure MSodiumG.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

I know many sodium challenged folks and when grilling or cooking for the what I do is switch to plain black pepper as a substitute for salt. I know its not quite the same but the feedback is good as the kick of the pepper makes up for the salt. Sometimes i also add onion and garlic powder, depending on the meat I'm burning. To your healthy smokin...

I double checked the Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper....no MSG...around here, the only place I can find it is at Wally World, though...

BluDawg. Many thanks for that.
    I could not find Mexican oregano (a little too north of the border I am afraid) but I did make a batch to try on pulled pork tomorrow. It sounds amazing.

McCormick lists salt as it's first or second ingredient
    I noticed that at the store today. They also have a no salt added citrus and pepper seasoning that I used for BluDawg's recipe. No sodium or MSG noted on the label.

Thank you all
    Jay

Lots of chili powders have salt as an ingredient also, Frontier Co-op makes a salt free one that is good, don't know of others that make it.