usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 36

1 members and 35 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Links for different brands of Pellets

Since I bought my Traeger I have been buying only Traeger pellets from the place I bought it from. He has been selling bags for $16.95 which was 2 bucks less than Traeger was selling them for.
    Well he pulled a Sam's Club move on me, Got me hooked on Pecan Pellets & now says he can't get them anymore! And I would have to buy them online.
    Well in looking @ Traegers webpage, They now want $21.84 for a bag of their pellets. If you ordered directly from them
    I really like the Pecan Pellets. Yet its hard swallowing the $4.89 difference I was paying for their pellets
    So I'm asking everyone who knows of other Pellet makers to post a link to their webpage so pellet heads like myself & others have different outlets to get pellets from.

We also have a Gander Mountain store here, I'm going to check there & a Fleet Farm.
    Lou
    I want what your Smoking!!
    GMG Jim Bowie
    Have Traeger will Travel
    1 Yellow Thremapen

SmokyOkie Guest

I can get you pellets for less than that, but the shipping would eat you up. Traeger pellets ar 80-90% alder depending on which flavor you buy.

You might consider buying pure pecan pellets from BBQ Delight and mixing them with your Traeger pellets.

You might also consider placing pieces of pecan wood over the firecup..if you can do that with a Traeger.

Well Thank You! Tim
    Its been an interesting day. As I was looking at the link you supplied I gave a phone call to the guy who services my pellet burner that heats my house. His shop is about 25 miles from here.
    He used to sell Louisiana Smokers now he has Green Mountain Pellet grills.
    He had a 10lb bag of pecan (BBQ Delight) he sold me for $5.99.
    It says right on the bag that its 1/3 pecan & the rest is oak. So in all reality there is not much difference if indeed Traegers pellets are 80 to 90% alder.

Certainly has me rethinking my pellet purchases! I can purchase 30lbs of BBQ Delight to Traegers 20 lbs & still have some change leftover! Over a years time the way I go through pellets its going to be a quite a savings!

The owners son made a big mistake by telling me that they could no longer get Pecan pellets. Because while I'm @ my new store (or online) getting my Pecan pellets. I may as well stock up on other flavors I use also. And @ quite a savings!
    I'll test the quality on a Butt or a Sirloin Tip Roast I have stored in the freezer
    Lou
    I want what your Smoking!!
    GMG Jim Bowie
    Have Traeger will Travel
    1 Yellow Thremapen

Cookshack will also be carrying a new brand of pellets in Feb. I'm not sure what brand they are but several people who have tested them say they are much better than the treager pellets.
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silver-bullet View Post
    Well Thank You! Tim
    Its been an interesting day. As I was looking at the link you supplied I gave a phone call to the guy who services my pellet burner that heats my house. His shop is about 25 miles from here.
    He used to sell Louisiana Smokers now he has Green Mountain Pellet grills.
    He had a 10lb bag of pecan (BBQ Delight) he sold me for $5.99.
    It says right on the bag that its 1/3 pecan & the rest is oak. So in all reality there is not much difference if indeed Traegers pellets are 80 to 90% alder.

Certainly has me rethinking my pellet purchases! I can purchase 30lbs of BBQ Delight to Traegers 20 lbs & still have some change leftover! Over a years time the way I go through pellets its going to be a quite a savings!

The owners son made a big mistake by telling me that they could no longer get Pecan pellets. Because while I'm @ my new store (or online) getting my Pecan pellets. I may as well stock up on other flavors I use also. And @ quite a savings!
    I'll test the quality on a Butt or a Sirloin Tip Roast I have stored in the freezer
    Just remember that the main reason that Traeger uses the alder is to prevent people form oversmoking their food.

The oak based pellets will be much stronger.

Only other type I've tried was cookingpellets, or cooknpellets, or something like that. He had a "perfect blend" that I tried. I think his name was Chris? Anyway, they worked good in the traeger, but not w/the paddle feed system in the country cooker.

I couldn't tell any difference as they werent' that special, just expensive(s&h).

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    Only other type I've tried was cookingpellets, or cooknpellets, or something like that. He had a "perfect blend" that I tried. I think his name was Chris? Anyway, they worked good in the traeger, but not w/the paddle feed system in the country cooker.

I couldn't tell any difference as they werent' that special, just expensive(s&h).
    I have tried these pellets. When I got the smoke rolling I cleaned out the pellet hopper and dumped the unused one on the ground. They put off a smoke that was crazy awful. I have tried several brands and like BBQ's Delight, Cookshacks (new ones), Penningtons, and Green Mountains.

SmokyOkie Guest

What can you tell us about the composition of the latter 3?

BTW, try any of that Rooster Booster yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    What can you tell us about the composition of the latter 3?

BTW, try any of that Rooster Booster yet?
    I do not know BTU rating on theses. I do know ash content and the one that have the least is BBQ's Delight. The btu's is hard to determine for me with the IQ controllers that we run, because if the unit needs heat the controller does it. Old school you could tell btus because the turn of the auger motor was set on a timer and the higher btu the hotter cause it turns the same and the make up of the pellet made the heat difference. No for the new Cookshacks coming in this week the mill will be drying out the dust to make it burn with out as much moisture so there should be a little more smoke. I will be trying them maybe next weekend.

As far as the Rooster Booster I haven't had a time to use it. I have added another grill to my arsenal and been playing with it. Yes a new one got it Saturday.

SmokyOkie Guest

What did you get? Where's the pix?

Let us know on the new pellets please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast