Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

7 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Posts: 157,536
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aldergrove B.C.
    Posts
    2,617

    Default

    looking good,
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Jenison, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post
    2" Pipe

    I need to find them cheaper this is way out of my budget.

    Let me know what you think

    There are all types and different prices.

    These should work fine. $26.18 plus $8.95 shipping

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    The Stumps clone builders use these for the air intake damper as well.

    Good Luck!
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry516planes View Post
    There are all types and different prices.

    These should work fine. $26.18 plus $8.95 shipping

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    The Stumps clone builders use these for the air intake damper as well.

    Good Luck!

    Thankyou, any suggestion on how to run the drain, because my pipeburner is at the center bottom.



    I was thinking to center it at the end of the thermal plate and run it at a slight angle in front of the pipe burner down through the bottom of the tank.
    Or I could cut the 2 pipe in 2 pieces and run a piece from the plate straight down about 2-3" then weld the 2nd piece at slight angle to clear the pipe burner.

    ??

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Jenison, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    769

    Default

    I think I would go with the end of the thermal plate and out the bottom. That is just me. I try to just keep it simple. None of this is rocket science. The good part about working in steel is that if you don't like it you can just cut it off and do it differently. Do not over think it. Simple is best!

    I do really like your cooking grids! Thank you for the link!

    Have a Great Day!
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry516planes View Post
    I think I would go with the end of the thermal plate and out the bottom. That is just me. I try to just keep it simple. None of this is rocket science. The good part about working in steel is that if you don't like it you can just cut it off and do it differently. Do not over think it. Simple is best!

    I do really like your cooking grids! Thank you for the link!

    Have a Great Day!
    True, and as long as there's gravity, I should be ok.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Be sure to remember though that you may want to adjust tongue height while cooking as an alternate method of temp control.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Be sure to remember though that you may want to adjust tongue height while cooking as an alternate method of temp control.
    Yeah I have heard of that but never seen anyone explain the procedure.
    Everyone refers to tongue height, what part of the smoker are they referring to the tongue...opposite firebox, and what does lowering and raising it actually do?
    If I lowered the tongue would it decrease the temp and if I raised the tongue would it increase the temp and if so the thermal plate would be pitching towards the firebox.
    ??

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruskin, FL
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    I think it refers to the hitch tongue. I don't thik it has any bearing on temps, just the gravity flow of the grease. I'm just guessing, but there may be other factors at play here that are beyond me.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry516planes View Post

    The Stumps clone builders use these for the air intake damper as well.

    Good Luck!
    Jerry thanks, I have a few questions about these Stumps Clones and their valves, don't the Teflon seal melt from the heat or is the draw of air enough to keep it from melting.
    I also noticed some of these builds have 1 air intake.

    I like the idea of using the valves for intakes, I have 7 intake holes 4 in the side and 3 in the rear, maybe I,ll add 3 valves in the rear and use a sliding plate on the side

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post
    Yeah I have heard of that but never seen anyone explain the procedure.
    Everyone refers to tongue height, what part of the smoker are they referring to the tongue...opposite firebox, and what does lowering and raising it actually do?
    If I lowered the tongue would it decrease the temp and if I raised the tongue would it increase the temp and if so the thermal plate would be pitching towards the firebox.
    ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    I think it refers to the hitch tongue. I don't thik it has any bearing on temps, just the gravity flow of the grease. I'm just guessing, but there may be other factors at play here that are beyond me.
    If you raise the tongue ( trailer tongue, or end away from firebox on most units)the heat has a more direct shot up and through the unit thereby increasing temps, and yes, it could tend to run the grease toward the firebox end bulkhead.

    By the same token, if you lower the tongue, it is harder for the heat to get out of the fiebox and out into the oven area, as a result, it will lower temps.

    The result is generally fairly well immediate, and I would only use it as a temporary stop gap to add to good fire management.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My little reverse flow is now a record holder!
    By Smokin_Turkey in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
  2. first project and yess its gonna be a reverse flow!
    By matt4467 in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
  3. Tuning Plates or Reverse Flow?????
    By Gunslinger in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 08:40 AM
  4. reverse flow question
    By rwc565 in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 03:27 PM
  5. Reverse seared tri-tip
    By bowhnter in forum Beef
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1