Register Now!

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerQue View Post
    Thanks for the kind words as to my cutlery. I have found that I much prefer the Santoku style to the chef's style knife. I use the Forschner more than the Wusthof as I like the handle more due to the arch in it. One day I may have to pick up a Wusthof from one of their other series that has an arched handle. I bought the one pictured above in a special deal that came with the Santoku sharpener.

Also not pictured above, I bought a set of Wusthof steak knives and like them very much.
    I see the Forschner santoku has a more curved blade than the Wusthhoff. I would like that better than my Wusthoff. I like to use a rocking action when I chop and the Wusthoff doesn't offer much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    I like the Santoku style, too. In fact, I regret not getting mine sooner. The shorter blade and flatter curve to it let me use more of the edge than I do on a standard chef's knife. Also, the blade feels more sturdy in my hand.

As for handles, you bring up a valid point. It's very important to go with a comfortable handle. I like the D-R Sani-Safe handles, but a lot of people have told me they're too small for their hands. But for me, most knives feel too large or curves don't hit in the right spot.

Mine are restaurant quality.

$15 for a box of 12 last year from Acemart.
    We use a knife similar to Outback steak house only with a pointed tip. The serrated edge holds up and works great for steaks. slicing on glass (plates) dulls even the best of knives quickly and I got tired of sharpening the good ones every other time we used them.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    We use a knife similar to Outback steak house only with a pointed tip.
    These are similar to, if not exactly like, the Outback's. For me, when one set of these wears out, I can pull another 4 from the box. I don't feel guilty about throwing these out when they get ruined.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

This is kind of off subject. Rob, you mention throwing knives out. How exactly do you dispose of a knife? I'd be afraid the trash guy would hurt himself. I've got a few here now that I need to get shed of.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Depends on my resources. Usually I'll take them to a scrap yard with my aluminum cans.

If you don't go to scrap yards, you could wrap the blade with cardboard or several layers of paper, then tape it all up nice and secure. The paper would shield the blade and point from accidental contact.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    This is kind of off subject. Rob, you mention throwing knives out. How exactly do you dispose of a knife? I'd be afraid the trash guy would hurt himself. I've got a few here now that I need to get shed of.

Goodwill donation, and get a receipt for Uncle Sam

Rob, I'm a Dexter Russell man when it comes to workhorse knives. There's a reason that that's what you always see around the packing houses. and they can go straight into the dishwasher when you're done as well.

Default OK I finally got around to it

Here are a few pix of some of my knives:

Sharps drawer. lesser used knives and large knives that won't fit in a counter top knife block. Also other sharp items such as micro p-lanes, injector needles, etc.

Knife blocks. Most frequently used knives, cheap steak knives in the background.

Most frequently used knives, cheap steak knife for Rob to see.

Cleavers

Larger knives (dollar bill underneath for size comparison)

Favorite rib dissecting knife. Henckles 4 star (vier stierne). I like it because it has a thick wedge to the blade and a nice beefy handle.

Two other frequently used knives that wouldn't fit in the other pic.

You guys don't want to see my knives. I think I need to go shopping pretty soon.
    Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Doc Holliday: You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

http://gunrunnersqincrew.blogspot.com/

Great arsenal, Okie! I really like the steak knife next to those other, classier ones.

What do you use that cimiter for? Is that your brisket knife?

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner2491 View Post
    You guys don't want to see my knives. I think I need to go shopping pretty soon.
    You're among friends here, don't worry. I like seeing well-used blades, so don't let that stop you.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

I have an Old Hickory Knive that my wife completely despises.
    Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Doc Holliday: You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

http://gunrunnersqincrew.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner2491 View Post
    If they're really bad be sue to show them. It'll make us feel better about what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    Great arsenal, Okie! I really like the steak knife next to those other, classier ones.

What do you use that cimiter for? Is that your brisket knife?

I don't know what a cimiter is, but if you're talking about the big curved one, its really nice for any large cut of meat. It's a Victorinox that I picked up on sale for about $25.

You're among friends here, don't worry. I like seeing well-used blades, so don't let that stop you.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast