Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

1 members and 33 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default My Trusty WSM w/ Mods (Weber Smokey Mountain)

I figured I might as well throw my WSM on here. It is a remarkably useful piece of equipment the way it comes, but there are a few simple things you can do to spruce it up and make it easier to use. There are a few things some folks do that I haven't done yet as I find mine quite useful and still simple and straight forward as is.

Here is the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker assemble as it comes:

The access door in the side sometimes needs a little bending to seal up better. I have also found that turning the door upside down seems to help in this area as well.

These are a set of replacement garage door handles that can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, or probably about any other hardware store. If you pay attention to the distance between holes on the door handles you can find a set that will bolt right up to your WSM. You use two sides opposite each other of the bolt, grill support, and nut assembly set-up that Weber supplies. This allows you to mount the handles with no drilling and therefore no chipping of the enamel finish which would allow rust to start. Here is a pic of the handles mounted:

Not a rebirth by any means, but a few simple things anyone can do to make the WSM just a touch more user friendly.
    Chad

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character." T.R.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

BDS-Jumbo Model 2743

WSM- Weber Smokey Mountain w/ mods

Weber Performer

GOSM Big Block 36" gasser

I've had my WSM for 2 or 3 years. Except for the door, it's an extremely well made cooker. I fail to understand why they don't improve the door.

I like the handles.

Probably the same reason they don't have some sort of pin for the legs on the kettle. Guess they figure they need to leave *some* sort of weak spot or somethin'.

Great pics, Chad. And good tips for a future WSM owner.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Love my WSM... Out of all the cookers I've got, it sees the most action!

James.