Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 73

6 members and 67 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, Today at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grill distance from coals

What is the best distance to place the grill from the coals for direct grilling? I want to build an attachment for my UDS that will allow me to grill steaks and such, but I'm not sure how far below the grill grate to place the coal pan I am going to build.

Thanks

Variable distance is best. I like to get a good quick sear and then increase the distance between the fire and the meat so that the steak can rest as it finishes cooking.

Also, there are a lot of things that do better with super intense heat (close) and just as many others that like slow direct heat.

IF it were me i think it would be less expensive to just buy a Smokie Joe Silver for grilling steaks,but thats me. Besides he who dies with the most toys wins. A person can never have to much in the way of BBQ equipment.Now if you want something that the Grandchildren will be able to cook steaks on I would look at a LODGE CI Sportsmans grill. That is my next investment for BBQ.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    IF it were me i think it would be less expensive to just buy a Smokie Joe Silver for grilling steaks,but thats me. Besides he who dies with the most toys wins. A person can never have to much in the way of BBQ equipment.Now if you want something that the Grandchildren will be able to cook steaks on I would look at a LODGE CI Sportsmans grill. That is my next investment for BBQ.
    I know this will draw fire, but I never much cared for the way a Weber cooks steaks, and I have cooked hundreds on one. For the money, they are hard to beat, but a Hasty Bake is a much more adaptable cooker for the purpose.

I have become so spoiled by having the ability to rasie and lower the frie grate that I don't know if I could go back.

My version of your quote is that whoever dies with the most true friends wins.

Hasty Bake $1100.00 Weber SJS 29.95 1070.05 left over for steaks,thats a lot of Prime Beef. The HB is a very good grill too if ya don't know how to manage your fire
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Ouch!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

LOL, you guys crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    Hasty Bake $1100.00 Weber SJS 29.95 1070.05 left over for steaks,thats a lot of Prime Beef. The HB is a very good grill too if ya don't know how to manage your fire
    OK, just for the record-286sq" vs 155sq" oif cooking space. Up at workbench height instead of having to kneel to cook. Ability to bake, smoke, or grill, and cook for hours without removing the cooking grate.

There are several more difference as well.

As far as knowing how to manage your fire, the Hasty Bake is for those that are experienced enough to want options as to how they want to manage their fire.

Touche' but then you expected that, right.

If you ever cooked on a Hasty Bake, you would never even draw a comparison to a Weber. Anyone that has will tell you the same.

Buy what you can afford, but if you really like to cook, buy the best you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    ...clipped...
    Buy what you can afford, but if you really like to cook, buy the best you can afford.
    A good buddy of mine once said: "You might regret paying for the best but you'll never regret owning it."
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Raklet View Post
    What is the best distance to place the grill from the coals for direct grilling? I want to build an attachment for my UDS that will allow me to grill steaks and such, but I'm not sure how far below the grill grate to place the coal pan I am going to build.

Thanks

* *First of all Racklet I'm sorry that I hijacked your thread, and never answered your question. I think that 1-2" will give a nice sear on steak if you are cooking to med rare ...med zone. if you want to go closer to the well done(agh) zone then you will need a way to slow down the cook after the initial searing.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    OK, just for the record-286sq" vs 155sq" oif cooking space. Up at workbench height instead of having to kneel to cook. Ability to bake, smoke, or grill, and cook for hours without removing the cooking grate.

There are several more difference as well.

As far as knowing how to manage your fire, the Hasty Bake is for those that are experienced enough to want options as to how they want to manage their fire.

Touche' but then you expected that, right.

If you ever cooked on a Hasty Bake, you would never even draw a comparison to a Weber. Anyone that has will tell you the same.

Now Tim the topic was about Grilling steaks over direct heat on a UDS. As far as bending over to cook on a Smokie Joe I guess it would depend on ones fitness levle. My self I would place it on the grill in my UDS, so for those that are unable to bend or squat to cook that would make this a non issue. I will admit that having more surface area to work with is desirable, but I never cook more than 4 steaks at a time max so for me again a non issue.
    Yes the Hasty Bake is a VERY GOOD grill and a good multi tasker, but I always thought that it was the cook not the equipment that mattered most. I don't doubt the merits of the Hasty as I've never once heard a bad thing about it or the company, but then I have never heard anything bad about Weber either. Both of these grills have the ability produce great food.
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast