Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 24

2 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Well I completed about 10 coats on my Topper handle and re-installed. I'm cookin' a brisket today keeping temps. between 235 and 275. I's gone as high as 289, but I didn't let it stay there. Six hours now and the handle is good; no sign of melting. Feels great in my hand.

Of course low and slow cooking with ambient temp. in the mid 50's is not a great challenge for the Plastidip coating. Eventually I will want to cook something at 300+ on a triple digit day. That may be a different story. But I mostly use the drum for low and slow. So far I'm happy to report that I'm pleased. If and when I am not pleased I will report that as well (though maybe not so happily)

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

How did you hold it while you dipped it?

Instructions on the label say to use a wire or string. I used wire through the screw holes. Dip one end as far as you can into the can and remove and hang for at least 30 min. Then hook the wire through a hole on the other end. Repeat, alternating one end to the other until you get as many coats as you want.

See the 4th and 5th pix in the original post.
    UDS, Vicking grill

The next question is what do you do with what's left when it isn't deep enough to totally cover the item any more?

I mean, it seems like you would have to end up wasting more than you use.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    The next question is what do you do with what's left when it isn't deep enough to totally cover the item any more?

I mean, it seems like you would have to end up wasting more than you use.
    It was never deep enough to cover the handle to begin with. Look closely to the first couple of pics. That's why I dipped both ends over and over. You can tilt and turn the can and turn the item to take advantage of what's left in the can. I used over half the can, so even if I throw out the rest I have not wasted more than I used. Put the lid on and save. I could still dip and tilt to cover other items.

Also you can dilute (according to directions) 10-20% with naphtha and brush on to other items that are too big to dip.

Lastly, it cost me under seven bucks. If it does what I want . If not . I can toss it and I'm not out much. I'll live with it.
    UDS, Vicking grill

I'm still liking this.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    I'm still liking this.
    So far I am too. I don't know just how hot the handle gets. But the Topper handle sits approx. 11-12 inches higher than a standard drum lid. Does that make a difference? Or does the metal conduct similar temps.? Who knows. I tend to think if my drum is used in the manner it was intended this should work. We'll see. For now I like it.
    UDS, Vicking grill

It looks to be a much improved product since I bought some to dip piers handles in. It seems to be more durable and thicker.

h20loo is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket h20loo is an unknown quantity at this point

Tom, I think you are fine with that product. If I were worried about it I would put an insulator of some type between the handle and the lid. I have used plasicdip for years as an insulator on some of my tools and other than scraping it off with abuse type use I haven't had any problems. I've never had the patience to do ten coats though!!
    Not really related but- I always wondered what internal temp a Texas barrel would reach on a hot summer day when you just let it sit in the sun.

Tom, cover that can with saran wrap before putting the lid on and it will keep forever.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast