» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 58

0 members and 58 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maverick ET-7 Review

Moderator...please move this to the appropriate forum. Not sure where it goes, so I'm starting it here.

I bought a Maverick ET-7. It is a dual probe model that retails for $79.99. I found it for 50% off with free shipping, so I thought i would give it a try.

It shipped with batteries and I had it running within minutes of getting it out of the box. The receiver synced with the remote according to the instructions.

I plugged both probes into the transmitter, brought a pot of water to a rolling boil, and plopped the probes in.

Boiling point at my location - adjusted for altitude and barometric pressure - is 204*. Probe 1 stabilized at 209* and probe 2 stabilized at 207*. Not dead on, but not bad either. I'm surprised that the probes don't read the same.

Next thing to see is how far the range on the wireless works. This is disappointing (as others have noted). It only works consistently within 4-5 feet of each other. 10-30 feet is more sporadic but still receives quite a few updates. 40-50 feet will get updates, but they are far and few between. Beyond that, it doesn't work at all. I'm going to call Maverick on Monday and see what they have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raklet View Post
    Moderator...please move this to the appropriate forum. Not sure where it goes, so I'm starting it here.

I bought a Maverick ET-7. It is a dual probe model that retails for $79.99. I found it for 50% off with free shipping, so I thought i would give it a try.

It shipped with batteries and I had it running within minutes of getting it out of the box. The receiver synced with the remote according to the instructions.

I plugged both probes into the transmitter, brought a pot of water to a rolling boil, and plopped the probes in.

Boiling point at my location - adjusted for altitude and barometric pressure - is 204*. Probe 1 stabilized at 209* and probe 2 stabilized at 207*. Not dead on, but not bad either. I'm surprised that the probes don't read the same.

Next thing to see is how far the range on the wireless works. This is disappointing (as others have noted). It only works consistently within 4-5 feet of each other. 10-30 feet is more sporadic but still receives quite a few updates. 40-50 feet will get updates, but they are far and few between. Beyond that, it doesn't work at all. I'm going to call Maverick on Monday and see what they have to say about it.
    Good info. What I find funny is that I have the Maverick Et-72 and have similar findings. The wireless stinks. If I bring it inside, 10 feet away it will work for a while and just drop. In addition, the transmitter's display is hard to read so I just use the wireless outside and set it up next to the guru. the probes are 210 and 211, which is close enough. Bottom line, and I am a believer, that Maverick is pretty much junk imo. The quality has left something to be desired and I will probably not buy from them again.

Raklet: THANKS for the product review and glad to know that it is working fairly well for you. I have the Maverick ET-71 single probe and it works fantastic. I have never tried getting more than 20-25 feet from the transmitter but it has NEVER failed at those distances. My Oregon AW-129 is a single probe and when I use by my recliner (20 feet) every 2 or 3 min it drops connection and re-connects but other wise it works well. Again THANKS.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

The wireless range is the BIG issue with this thermo, doubt you will get any satisfaction from Maverick. Build quality is the other.
    It's also why we generally recommend the Oregon Scientific AW 131 (the RED one, not the silver one). It has a FOR REAL 300' range.
    And you can find it for $40 if you look around.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Raklet - Thanks for the current info on the Maverick ET-7. The company is less concerned with the over all quality and customer satisfaction than they should be. Hopefully it will serve you well enough as to not be a dissapointment to you.

As stated above, when you are ready, try the Oregon Scientific AW131 for range. Although it doesn't have two probes, once you get your smoker dialed in you probably won't have to worry so much about temp variations. Or you can set another probe for smoker temp.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

For posting. I decided to go with the OS based on similar complaints posted here about Mavericks. I'm Very satisfied; just wish it had two probes. I'm hoping Santa will bring me another one.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

SmokyOkie Guest

do you have to open the back panel to get to the on/off switches? Are the switches near microscopic, and do they look as if they would be easy to break? Does it give you an alert to let you know if you have gone out of range, or does it just keep displaying the last temp that it read?

those are my issues with the ET-73.

Personally, I would much rather pay an extra $20-$30 and have 2 AW-131s.

Do not expect anything out of Maverick. They had me send one back to them supposedly to install an antenna, but instead, they sent me someone else's broken unit and then refused to do anything more.

I eventually just had to throw it into contest with my credit card company, or I would've just been stuck.

maverick buys these things private labeled from a Chinese mfgr. This is just what one would expect from that type operation. they have no way to repair them, and they have no input as to how they are made.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    do you have to open the back panel to get to the on/off switches? Are the switches near microscopic, and do they look as if they would be easy to break? Does it give you an alert to let you know if you have gone out of range, or does it just keep displaying the last temp that it read?
    The on/off switches are readily available without removing a panel, but yes they are small and feel rather flimsy. There is no alert about being out of range. It just keeps displaying the last temp that it read.

Do not expect anything out of Maverick. They had me send one back to them supposedly to install an antenna, but instead, they sent me someone else's broken unit and then refused to do anything more.

I eventually just had to throw it into contest with my credit card company, or I would've just been stuck.
    Shame on them. I'll see how it goes with them, and am not afraid to dispute it with my CC company if necessary.

maverick buys these things private labeled from a Chinese mfgr. This is just what one would expect from that type operation. they have no way to repair them, and they have no input as to how they are made.
    Is that really any different than a lot of companies these days? A lot of stuff we buy is junk.

SmokyOkie Guest

The on/off switches are readily available without removing a panel, but yes they are small and feel rather flimsy. There is no alert about being out of range. It just keeps displaying the last temp that it read.

That is a BIG prollem IMHO. I mean, if it doesn;t have range, they could at least make sure yo know it.

Shame on them. I'll see how it goes with them, and am not afraid to dispute it with my CC company if necessary.

Good luck. Make sure to let us know what happened.

Is that really any different than a lot of companies these days? A lot of stuff we buy is junk.
    Correction- a lot of the stuff YOU buy, maybe. If we accept junk from them, that is all you should expect to find available.
    I don't accept junk, and would encourage you to boycott it as well.

Correction- a lot of the stuff YOU buy, maybe. If we accept junk from them, that is all you should expect to find available.
    I don't accept junk, and would encourage you to boycott it as well.
    More semantics.....by "we" I meant the US population. I'm generally very discriminating in the things that I buy. I don't make purchases very often, but when I do, I try make sure it is the highest quality possible. Makes my wife crazy. She says I have too high of taste. She prefers to buy stuff from the dollar store (which is another bone of contention in our family). However, I think she is beginning to see the light that those items are pure crap.

I digress. Back onto the Maverick. I bought it off of Amazon, contacted them about a return, and they said no problem. It's packed up, ready to go in the mail today, and they are even covering the return shipping. I'll purchase something else.

Where is the link to Oregon Scientific on our site? I've looked but can only see adverts for Backwoods Smokers and Sterling Silver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast