» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 48

0 members and 48 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maverick ET-7 vs ET-73

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two? The ET-73 claims to be for monitoring the smoker chamber on one probe and food on the other. The ET-7 doesn't say anything about smoking. It says it is just for monitoring two different foods - yet temperature ranges and probe specs seem to be the same. Aside from the fancy grill clip that comes with the ET-73, couldn't one probe of the ET-7 do the same job? The ET-7 has more features and is more expensive than the ET-73, but the reason I ask is I found the ET-7 currently on sale at 50% off. Cheaper than the ET-73 at that price. What do you think?

By all means buy the ET-7 with the dual probes especially if 50% off. It retails for $79.95 whereas the ET-73 retails for $59.95. I have the ET-71 which is a single probe and I use it for drum temp as I can set it for 300 or 350,etc.

The Oregon will on allow for beef-lamb-pork-turkey as you cannot set for 300.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Have the signal transmission problems been cleared up with these units? I've read lots of horrible things about Maverick being unreliable and not having good transmission range.

I doubt the problems have been cleared. Some people swear by them and don't have problems. Consider your range if you need / want a wireless unit. The ET-73 may not be what you need. If you only have short distances to worry about then give it a shot.

The Oregeon Scientific AW 131 can be set for specific meat presets or can be set to individual temperature setting up to 572 (way more than you will ever need except for your world famous char-ribs ).

The Oregeon Scientific AW129 can only be set for preset meat temps.

Is the dual probe thermo a wireless unit? If not consider a wired unit for grate temp and a wireless for the food temp.

Just my thoughts buster.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

RAKLET: Sorry I should have stated that my Oregon is a Model AW-129. It can only be set for the MEAT and Rare to Well Done. never had a problem with it. Have never had a problem with the Maverick Model ET-71 (Single Probe) but let me say that I never get more than 25-30 feet from my cooking area.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

The dual probe thermo is a wireless unit, but to be quite honest I don't really need it (want is another story). Perhaps if I get to the point where I am doing an 18 hour cook and want to be alerted to a problem when I am asleep, then wireless would be something to look at. Aside from wanting fancy gadgetry, I'm almost convinced I need to just buy a couple of 12" Turkey Fryer dial thermometers (~$12 each) and use those until I become proficient at this - then I can consider upgrading.

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raklet View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between these two? The ET-73 claims to be for monitoring the smoker chamber on one probe and food on the other. The ET-7 doesn't say anything about smoking. It says it is just for monitoring two different foods - yet temperature ranges and probe specs seem to be the same. Aside from the fancy grill clip that comes with the ET-73, couldn't one probe of the ET-7 do the same job? The ET-7 has more features and is more expensive than the ET-73, but the reason I ask is I found the ET-7 currently on sale at 50% off. Cheaper than the ET-73 at that price. What do you think?

I am not familiar w/the et-7, but looking at it it seems to be better built and more user friendly than the ET-73.

Being as there is absolutely nothing anywhere mentioning the range of transmission, I doubt they have corrected the issue.

Here is a link to their owner's manual

One of the probes certainly could be used to monitor pit temps if the temp range is high enough. You would just need to do something to keep the tip of the probe up off the grate.

Have the signal transmission problems been cleared up with these units? I've read lots of horrible things about Maverick being unreliable and not having good transmission range.
    See above

The dual probe thermo is a wireless unit, but to be quite honest I don't really need it (want is another story). Perhaps if I get to the point where I am doing an 18 hour cook and want to be alerted to a problem when I am asleep, then wireless would be something to look at. Aside from wanting fancy gadgetry, I'm almost convinced I need to just buy a couple of 12" Turkey Fryer dial thermometers (~$12 each) and use those until I become proficient at this - then I can consider upgrading.

Wireless is well worth it.

The $12 thermos you might find aren't known for being either accurate or dependable, and accuracy can change at any point in time with inexpensive units.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Wireless is well worth it.

The $12 thermos you might find aren't known for being either accurate or dependable, and accuracy can change at any point in time with inexpensive units.
    But the digital thermometers are accurate / can be calibrated?

SmokyOkie Guest

That depends on what you buy.

I have had the AW-131s lose probes over time and they get inaccurate in the process, but enough so that you know there is a prollem. Other than that, I have never had one be inaccurate.

The thermapen is calibrateable. The Tel Tru is not, but it is certified and comes with a certificate to that effect.

Tel Tru is the oldest U.S. mfgr of industrial guages. They have to be accurate and they stand on their reputation.

You already know where the $12 thermos are made and whether or not the mfgr really cares how accurate they are.

It's pretty much like everything else. You get what you pay for.

I have 3 el-cheapo wal-mart red ones(hate those) for $7/each. They were w/in 1/2* of the thermapen.(cause I have it set to read .1) Yep, all but one...it's 1/2 melted. I couldn't believe it either, no the temp diff.

Hate to say it, but spend the $'s on a thermapen and buy cheap elsewhere. Ya really don't need a probe for a brisket or butt, and chicken is pretty easy, even w/out the thermapen.

Just my , keep the change.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast