» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 36

0 members and 36 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Briquette quality important?

I want to use a mix of briquettes and lump to make my lump stretch farther. I found 42 lbs of Kingsford for $15 (.37/lb). There were also Kingsford competition briquettes that were 12 lbs for $9.00 (might as well buy straight lump at those prices). Is there any difference between the two types of briquettes? Will the cheaper ones give equally good results? I'm sure there are plenty of answers for and against each type, but I'm curious to see what the various opinions are.

The blue bag stuff has alot of stuff addded to it and produces alot of ash and some folks claim that it leaves an off flavor in the food.The comp stuff has a different make-up .It burns longer and hotter and leaves no off flavors and dosn't produce as much ash. I don't buy or use either, I use lump.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I've used Kingsford, mesquite lump and various private label briquettes in my drum and had good results with all. In the past I have found that some bargain brand briquettes when used for grilling may:

1. Not burn well at all.

2. Not burn hot enough.

3. Not burn very long.

Sam's Choice (Wally World) has been pretty good overall.
    Trial and error bro.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

We all want the best quality and longest burn for the buck. Trial and error is a good way to find what you like to use for the cost you can afford.

Try researching The Naked Whiz’s Lump Charcoal Database to see how brands fared in their tests.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

DDave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    The blue bag stuff has alot of stuff addded to it and produces alot of ash and some folks claim that it leaves an off flavor in the food.The comp stuff has a different make-up .It burns longer and hotter and leaves no off flavors and dosn't produce as much ash. I don't buy or use either, I use lump.
    What he said.

I use Kingsford Comp all the time in the drum and LOVE it. It does burn hot and the drum likes to creep up in temp when I'm using it if I'm not real careful. To start the drum, I only use 8 lit briquettes and then catch the temp on the way up. I'm very happy with it and it doesn't stink when it lights like the blue bag stuff that we get out here on the West coast.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    We all want the best quality and longest burn for the buck. Trial and error is a good way to find what you like to use for the cost you can afford.

Try researching The Naked Whiz’s Lump Charcoal Database to see how brands fared in their tests.
    I did find that site late last night. One that looks promising is Nature's Own Chunk Charwood. It gets good reviews and is among the lowest priced. A 20 lb bag sells for 11.25 shipped. That's only .20 / lb more than the blue bag stuff. At those prices, I could buy straight lump.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've started to form some of my own opinions, but yes, only trial and error will really tell the tale over time. I've never cooked with briquettes or wood before so I have a learning curve ahead of me.

Super - if that's a price you like and can't find anything close that you believe to be good then go for it buster. There are a lot of opinions on charcoal (lump or otherwise) just go with what you like and don't be hung up on it so much that you won't try something new when you come across it.

BTW if you get the charcoal shipped in - please give us your review of it.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

YES by all means try different things. I am using 10 lbs of briquetts to 5 lbs of lump but will switch to 100% lump when all of my briquetts are gone (Lots on super sale). The briquetts seem to make toooo much ash.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Quote Originally Posted by smokinok View Post
    The briquetts seem to make toooo much ash.
    Oh so true. I did a test burn of some instant light charcoal (nasty stinky stuff) yesterday just to check temperature control. I only put in the remaining half of the bag (maybe 5 lbs), but it produced so much ash that it filled my entire ash pan (18.5" diameter by 2" deep)!

SmokyOkie Guest

That's cuz they are full of driveway dust ( powdered limestone) to increase the weight w/o virtually any additional cost.

Bear in mind when comparing fuels that the ratio of thermal capacity of lump to briquettes is about 2:1.

In other words, if the lump costs twice as much as the briquettes (most briquettes), then you are at even money.

Oh, and if it stinks when you light it, then that same stink will go straight onto the food during a progressive burn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast