usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

9 members and 19 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Turducken w/ pix

This has appeared on a couple other sites, and being as TQJ is my new "Home Site" I thought it should appear here as well.

To those of you who've seen it before, I apologize for boring you. For those to whom it is new, please enjoy:

Ever increasing in popularity is the famous Turducken, or as the Cajuns call it "Meat Three Ways". For those not familiar with it, it is basically a boneless chicken stuffed inside a boneless duck, stuffed inside a boneless turkey usually with some cornbread, meat or rice stuffing to fill it out.

I built one Sunday and thought I might share some pix in case some of you were interested in what all is involved in making one yourself.

I wanted to get this posted by Monday but I just haven't had the time.

To start out, debone a large turkey, a duck and a fryer. I have deboning pix too and will post them soon.

I used ground pork stuffing, real simple, onion, garlic, bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, and some diced andouille.

Season inside of turkey w/ Cajun seasoning, fill in the low spots w/ stuffing, season both sides of deboned duck and place on top of turkey. I also added some slices of andouille (Poche's is the best IMHO)

Add some more stuffing, then a seasoned chicken, then the rest of the stuffing.

I fashioned a needle out of a turkey lacing skewer by squeezing the eyelet together into a sort of ellipse (I use this for lacing up stuffed conventional turkeys too)

Now sew it up (It's a good idea to have another set of hands to hold the bird in position long enough to get a few stitches in. Otherwise, the skin will try to tear @ the stitches)

I like to stitch the anklets together to help hold shape and for presentation purposes.

I left the "wrists" on because the make a nice "Chef"s Treat" and I've trussed them up so that they don't fall into the bottom of the roaster.

A 21# turkey, 5# duck, 3# chicken and 2# of stuffing yeilded a 23 1/2
    3 turducken(Monster). I anticipate a 9 hour smoke w/ cherry @ 325* to an internal of 165* followed by a 1 1/2 hour rest under towels.

Hopefully I'll have presence of mind to take a couple pix of the roasted bird tomorrow and share them early next week.

Happy TG to all,
    Tim

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Dang, that's a big bird! 23.5 lbs of solid food!
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Here's the three birds prior to dissecting- 1- traditional smoked turkey, 1-Viet chargrilled turkey, and 1- turducken:

And, after dissection:

You can bore me with those pix any time buster. Still a nice looking feast for probably many more than was there. Thanks for bringing this one back out.

BTW, I've looked all over the fryer, I've even picked the pot up looking and I still haven't found any bones.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

That really looks good SO. Another dish I will have to try . That Viet-char grilled turkey....is that to guess Vietnamese? If so any hot spices in it?

It was my daughter in law's contribution to the feast. She's Viet Namese.

No heat in it, ground pork, ground shrimp, woodear mushroom, carrot, onion and rice stick noodle stuffing (similar to viet spring roll filling).

I don't know why a little chopped Thai bird pepper coldn't be added for heat though.

Looks really good Smoky, I must try a turkduckin.
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

De-boning must be quite a chore.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Once you realize that is is no big deal to lose a little meat here and there, it really isn't that bad. Just save the bones and extra meat and roast it all off to make soup stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast