» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 54

0 members and 54 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default BBQ For Our Troops

I copied this from another forum. I think that most of you are in yankee land (north of the Red River) but wanted to post this just in case... after all it is for a good cause...

From Del King from bbqforourtroops.com,

I have been asked to do A BBQ at Fort Hood, Texas. It is part of what they are calling A DAY OF HEALING
    We will do the entire base and all family members. We plan on feeding around 60,000 people. We will set up on Dec 10th to serve on Dec 11th. I need all available smokers and personnel to let me know if you will be able to help in this large task. I also need donations to pull this off. I will be asking for Rubs, BBQ Sauce and volunteers. I know it is at the last minute but they didnít expect someone to come a shooting on their base. Let me know if you will be able to help in any way contact me at del at bbqforourtroops dot com. Thank you in advance.

Any help is great, if you have a cooker, can help serve, runner, anything we will greatly appreciate it. Short notice, but well worth it.

We will be heading up there on Thursday AM 12/10.....

Thanks y'all......
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Way to go Chuck!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Very nice!
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

I dont think that anyone here was planning on volunteering for this event but if so the Army has just made it really hard.

It seems that all of a sudden the Army is going to require anyone that touches a pit or grill to have a Food Handlers certificate (40 hour course) and anyone serving must have a Food Server certificate.

I know that this is causing alot of volunteers to have to back out including myself.
    Chuck

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Thats too bad Chuck. Gonna be damned near impossible now.

Its a great organization, the GLBBQA did a similar thing this fall in Jackson Michigan for the resrve armory there, and my son and I helped. It was alot of fun and very rewarding.

bbqforourtroops.com is a great cause. I urge anyone who can to get involved in events near you.
    The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Geez! How on earth did we ever survive without all the red tape and bureaucracy? Try to do something good and someone gets to thinking there needs to be a wall to climb over first.

Good Grief.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

This event has officially been canceled.

Just got this e-mail from the Base our services are not needed. Sorry for all the hard work you people put into this.

Del

Food Service
    We have reached our volunteer strength for our food service. Our menu will only consist of TYSON pre cooked products and Chopped BBQ from HEB Mobile Kitchen and the Carnival Food Booth Concessions that USO Bucks will pay for. I do not wish to introduce raw food of any kind into this venue. I appreciate all the generous offers to do so , however we need to be able to manage the food we already have donated. As good stewards we must try and use the food we already have committed and not have excess waste. With all servings that we have committed totals 185,000 portions. Unfortunately we will not be able to take advantage of the generous offer from BBQ for Troops. I truly hope USO has the opportunity in the future to work with them.

Food Service
    USO Fort Hood Volunteers
    16 Wal Mart Food Handler Volunteers
    3 Domino Pizza Volunteers
    20 Gatesville Fire Department
    USO Houston
    16 Volunteers
    25 Texas Beef Association

Total Food Pit Volunteer 80

SOP Food Service:
    All volunteers will require to have their food handlers certificates completed no later then December 4, 2009 and emailed to Lucia Cater by close of business December 4, 2009.( this will come in a separate email). Volunteers need to wear head gear ( Baseball hat) No jewelry of any kind and closed toe shoes. This is a 9 hour shift with no shift change. Breaks will be handled by Food Service Coordinator WAGS
    Please complete the spreadsheet attached. This must be filled out completely for me to be able to get gate passes in advance and create crew rosters for WAGS Spreadsheet is due Friday December 4th 2009 at 4:30 pm

Chuck

Q Joint Plank Owner.

SmokyOkie Guest

Well If that doesn't just suck!

forkin' bureaucrats!

It really does suck! I know that many of the volunteers had taken time off of work and made all kinds of arrangements to be there and then this happens.

I realize that this is no fault of BBQ for the Troops. Del did everything that he could to make it happen and he isnt a very happy camper right now.

But, I will be the first in line if/when they do it again in my area! It's the least that I can to to say thanks to the folks that put their lives on the line for us to have a free country...
    Chuck

Q Joint Plank Owner.

MmmmMMMmm, I'm sure all the Tyson precooked products is exactly the way the troops want to remember BBQ over the year they will be deployed overseas. Chopped rib patty anyone?
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast