» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 32

0 members and 32 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Been building

Default Been building

Worked on my first drum some today... here is the progress....

The Shop... still a work in progress.

New 32" LCD 'tailgating' TV... temporarily set up in shop on non-tailgating days.

My Father in law... told him the paddle bit wouldn't work. Going to get a 1" drill bit at work Monday.

A sign stake, this is what I used for my fire basket handle. I straightened it, then bent in in the shape of my handle.

Handles for the side of the drum, one is shown after I bent it in a vise to meet the curve of the drum.

Fire basket. I took a 12" wide strip of expanded metal and tied my grate into it 3.5" from the bottom. Should be more stable than a few bolts holding it up.

My father in law insisted on removing the gasket inside the lip of the lid. Was this this right thing to do?

That is it for now. I have 4 ball valves on order at work and should get them Monday. Also will pick up a 1" drill bit there then. I have 3/8" pilot holes drilled where the 1" holes are going, so it should be a matter of seconds to do. I have 2"NPT PVC to make an exhaust, but will probably pick up a pipe with the end threaded instead. Think the PVC may be more of a pain than I want to deal with long term.

SmokyOkie Guest

Yes, gasket needs to go.

Try a step bit instead of a 1" bit. If you use a large metal drill, you will need to drill several progressively larger holes. With a step bit, you just drill until you get the right size.

You go Bubba!

Nice shop!

Keep those pictures coming!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

I set up two plastic patio chairs with arms facing each other to hold the drum from rolling around and getting the drum at a level I didn't have to bend down to drill. I also used a step bit for the 1" holes and regular 1/4" bits for rack bolts. Also I drilled all the holes of the same size instead of changing bits back and forth. I used 2 1/2" bolts for bottom rack and 1 1/2" bolts for top rack. Also I drilled a 1/8" hole for my thermometer under the bottom rack and used a round file to open hole for thermometer to slide in perfectly. On the inside I slid a 1" sleeve onto the thermometer and used a pinch clip to hold it in place. It holds pretty good.
    KATTER - JOHN

Weber Genesis (Silver)
    Sunbeam Charcoal Grill
    "UGLY DRUM SMOKER"

1 Stainless Steel Spatula

h20loo is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket h20loo is an unknown quantity at this point

Even better than magnets and I think this is in the true spirit of a UDS. Not mine but I will do this in the future builds.

I would be a little worried about inconsistent leakage with just the flaps. I like the concept, but not sure about if the leaks will affect you too much. I can get ball valves relatively cheaply, so I am going to stick with those.

As I type this, I am watching my 9 month old daughter trying to master crawling. She has the belly crawl down, and can take a few 'steps' on all fours, but then goes back to the belly. It is pretty much all down hill from here, huh??
    Sean
    Huntington, WV
    Purdue '03

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Yes, gasket needs to go.

Try a step bit instead of a 1" bit. If you use a large metal drill, you will need to drill several progressively larger holes. With a step bit, you just drill until you get the right size.

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would be a little worried about inconsistent leakage with just the flaps. I like the concept, but not sure about if the leaks will affect you too much. I can get ball valves relatively cheaply, so I am going to stick with those.

As I type this, I am watching my 9 month old daughter trying to master crawling. She has the belly crawl down, and can take a few 'steps' on all fours, but then goes back to the belly. It is pretty much all down hill from here, huh??

She is building the muscles up that she is gonna need and building her confidence.Your smiles and love will encourage her.We would put toys or something that they were really interested in out of reach to make the want to crawl and walk.Enjoy it!!!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Nice progress report. Like that LCD TV in the shop area.

I went with the 1" bit, too. It worked ok but you need a starter hole. (going like Tim says with the progressive bit may be better)
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

Good luck on your build Bubba.
    KCBS CBJ
    ZEEK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast