usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

3 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: Best cook yet!!

Default Best cook yet!!

Well yesterday was my 2nd consistent cook!! I think it was the lump, it just burns too inconsistently to keep my temps where I want them. The last 2 times I used 1/4 royal oak lump and 3/4 kingsford briquettes and temps kept a consistent between 230 and 250 during the whole cook. Put a little yellow mustard then some rub cooked her to 160, took it off and wrapped it in foil, wrap in towel and put in cooler for 1 hour. Delicious and super juicy!!! You can see in the pic the juice that was in the foil. Now i've tackled pork butt, pork loin.....brisket is next.... any tips and/or tricks????

---TROY--

Got any left overs? I would sure like a taste. Most cook brisket fat cap down then flip it part way through the cook, reason is that the fat cap insulates the rest of the brisky from the direct heat and keeps it from drying out.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Really?? I thought it would make more sense to have the fat cap on top because as the fat cooks it works its way down through the meat, flavoring and keeping it moist...
    ---TROY--

Nice looking pork loin there lucky. You seem to have the drum dialed in with the 1/4 vs 3/4. I use 1/2 vs 1/2 in volume but that is about 1/4 vs 3/4 in total weight. I have not had a chance for a cook since my last fiasco but have the basket loaded 1/4-3/4 and a turkey thawing in the refrig. Plan to brine and cook on Sunday.
    Will try and remember to post pictures. AGAIN looking good lucky.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
    Really?? I thought it would make more sense to have the fat cap on top because as the fat cooks it works its way down through the meat, flavoring and keeping it moist...
    Negative! Old wives tale.

Fat cap down till 165ish and wrap till probe slides in like butter.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Sounds like it's time for some ribs now...
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Thanks everyone! So....is the fat cap down recommended on a butt also?? I've been placing fat side up cause I know I read that somewhere on here....

Ya know Joneser, I was thinking about doing ribs this weekend and I think you just helped me make my decision!!!
    ---TROY--

TROY: Some do and some don't. If you were to poll this group it would be very divided. Since i started reading these post on Q, I do a half and half. I start off with the fat cap down and after 4 or 5 hours I place fat cap side up and do not foil until it reaches 200 when I take off. I like the crispy bark that you get by not foiling until ready for the cooler.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

I finally dialed down my technique. Fat down the whole time, cook to 160, foil, cook to 200, take it off, wrap in towel, put in cooler for about an hour.

I tried leaving my first 3 butts on until it reached 200 because I like the crispy bark, but it took waaaaaay too long to get to 200. I mean crazy long. I had one that only weighed 3.28lbs and it took almost 8 1/2 hours to reach 200... Def don't go by the ol 1 1/2 hours per pound rule anymore.... LOL
    ---TROY--

Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
    The method for a drum is different that for other types of smokers because it is direct heat.

Being as the heat source is directly under the meat in a drum, it is best to do most of the cook fat side down so that the fat "insulates" the meat form the direct heat.

In other types of smokers, my preference is fat side up. While the fat doesn't go down "through" the meat, it does constantly baste it and prevent the meat from drying out.

Then of course, for the juiciest, beefiest brisket there is, the SmokyOkie Brisket Method is the best. Though I have never done a drummed brisket ( no real reason to), I would modify the method to have more fat down cooking time after foiling