» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 37

0 members and 37 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Ceramic IR burners

I have an old TEC Cherokee that used get pretty danged HOT. It's not so hot now. The manual says the only cleaning is to vacuum it. I think it needs something more aggressive. Any hints?
    WSM
    TEC Cherokee IR Gasser for great steaks

Have you tried to do a burnoff? Run it as hot as you can get it for an hour or so to turn as much gunk as possible to ash then used a compressed air canister (like you'd use to clean the keyboard on your computer) to blow as much loose as you can, then follow up with the shop vac to get the stuff outta the bottom, but I don't think I would try much more aggressive tactics than that unless its just doesn't get any better. Those burners can be a little fragile and actually the ceramic can crumble if you go after them too hard. Plus you don't want to risk blocking off any of the ports any worse than they might already be.

Heckuva steak searing machine you've got there if you can get it back up to snuff again though.

I try to run the sear burner on my grill for 5-10 minutes to make sure I burn out as much as possible before shutting it down after searing.

If it still won't get hot enough, I don't think you could hurt anything trying to clean the ports with pipe cleaners (with the burner cool).

Let me know how it works out!

I sure don't know much about them, other than they are propane fired. That being the case, could it be possible your orifice has gotten clogged?
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West