» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

0 members and 30 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Thread: Cheese Smoke

Default Cheese Smoke

Have not smoked any cheese for a while. It goes mighty good with smoked baloney, snack crackers, and "something cool to drink".
    I usually smoke cheese in the Turbo Cheese Smoker. But, I got to thinking about the ol' CharGriller Duo and decided to give it a try.
    I picked up 8 lb. of cheese - medium cheddar, colby-jack, and mozzarella. Thought I might as well make it worth while. And I share with the neighbors.
    I lit 4 Sam's Choice charcoal briquets, they are a good bit larger than standard briquets. Then I put a small chunk of hickory on top of them and had smoke shortly. Loaded the cheese in the Duo. Closed the stack damper about 3/4. Had the firebox damper about 1/2.
    Got real nice thin blue smoke and absolutely no heat. Thermometer never moved. Ambient temp was 43 with a light breeze.
    I just fed small pieces of hickory occasionally when the smoke would go away. 2 hours later it was smoked. I sealed all of it with the FoodSaver. That adds smoke flavor after a couple weeks.
    Good stuff Maynard!
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

That looks great, Mike! I'm gonna have to try smoking some cheese sometime.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Sounds like goot stuff Mike! I know I'm sure hooked on the stuff. The next time you head east, stop in Tipton at the cheese place. They have a "farmer cheese" that is just awesome smoked.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geek with Fire View Post
    Sounds like goot stuff Mike! I know I'm sure hooked on the stuff. The next time you head east, stop in Tipton at the cheese place. They have a "farmer cheese" that is just awesome smoked.
    Farmer Cheese, first time I've heard of it. I'll probably get over that way soon as the weather warms a bit and the Harley comes out of cold storage. Soon I hope. I've had enough winter and need a ride to clear the cobwebs.
    I hit the cheese place at Osceola when we pass through going south. They keep a pretty good selection, not cheap though! And you have to fight the tourists. Bus loads of blue haired ladies. They are viscous! Canes, big ol' handbags, hairpins, judo classes.
    Little guy like me doesn't stand a chance.

TQJ Plankowner

- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    Farmer Cheese, first time I've heard of it. ....[clipped]....
    Yea, I hadn't either. I did a wiki search and found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_cheese

It's basically cottage cheese (which oddly enough, I don't like...go figure), but they press out all of the liquid. It has the texture of slightly harder Velveta, but tastes (and looks) like a mild Mozzeralla. Probably plain, it wouldn't be any good, but smoked, it was fabulous.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

SmokyOkie Guest

All this cheese talk made me crave smoked cheese so I smoked some w/ cherry last night.

Did some pepper cheddar, mild pepper jack coated w/ home ground chili powder, pepper jack, jarlesberg, Chaumbs (port salut type), and aged gouda. I'm really anxious to check out the jack coated in chili powder.

Pix to come.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    All this cheese talk made me crave smoked cheese so I smoked some w/ cherry last night.

Did some pepper cheddar, mild pepper jack coated w/ home ground chili powder, pepper jack, jarlesberg, Chaumbs (port salut type), and aged gouda. I'm really anxious to check out the jack coated in chili powder.

Pix to come.

They ain't got that stuff at the Peculiar Apple Market. We're lucky to just get high end Kraft cheese. And rat cheese.

TQJ Plankowner

- John Wayne

I smoked some cheese for the first time last summer. It turned out great!! The trick I found was to seal it up afterwards and let it sit for a week.

I used some expanded steel about 4 inches high and 8 inches long,rolled it into a cylinder and used welding wire to hold the ends together. It holds about 4 or 5 pieces of charcoal and some wood chunks.Works good. Jeff