Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 24

5 members and 19 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Well I've got another butt I'm going to try this weekend. Should I get some regular briquettes ie: kingsford or other brand?

Also, after I get my chimney coals nice and hot, should I dump them in the basket and put more non lit ones in top or put the non lit ones in the basket first then dump the hot ones on top?
    ---TROY--

I would load my basket with a mix of lump and briquetts as well as several pieces of my smoking wood and soak a paper towel in veg. oil and light it and lay on top in the center of the basket and in 10-15 min it should be just perfect. If you are using a chimney, then make a pond in the middle of your basket and add the hot coals from the chimney to the pond and it will spread very slowly. Do a search on the MINION METHOD for some pix, etc. I mix 1/2 & 1/2 Royal Oak Biquetts and Lump with 5 or 6 fist size pieces of wood.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Smokinok, lump and briquette started with minion method sounds like a plan. After readings few lump vs briquette debates it seems like briquettes produce more consistent temps and consitent temps is what I'm having a problem maintaining. So.... Hopefully I'll have ether luck this way. I'll be sure and let u all know how it turns out!
    ---TROY--

h20loo is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket h20loo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by smokinok View Post
    I would load my basket with a mix of lump and briquetts as well as several pieces of my smoking wood and soak a paper towel in veg. oil and light it and lay on top in the center of the basket and in 10-15 min it should be just perfect. If you are using a chimney, then make a pond in the middle of your basket and add the hot coals from the chimney to the pond and it will spread very slowly. Do a search on the MINION METHOD for some pix, etc. I mix 1/2 & 1/2 Royal Oak Biquetts and Lump with 5 or 6 fist size pieces of wood.
    Got to agree!! The paper towel with veg oil or bacon fat(my favorite) works slick and no burnt skin either!

If the paper towel trick will work in the frozen NORTH then it will work for him I am sure.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Yeah I already us the paper towel and veggie oil method. Works great!!
    ---TROY--

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5