usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

4 members and 13 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Ok, i'm getting irritated....

I've been up for 3 1/2 hours now playing with the intakes trying to get the temps to stay steady. Nice n hot to begin with once I got the coals going then I put the lid on and slowly close the intakes a little at a time to bring the temp down. Well the temp just keeps steadily dropping below 200. I opened both the intakes wide open and still nothing..... I just drilled 2 more intakes (4 total now) to see if that helps, but I wouldn't think I would need this much air flow to keep it going @ above 200.... When I did my seasoning the other day it stayed at a steady 300 but now....UGHHHHHHH!!!

**UPDATE** Well the 2 extra intakes brought the temp back up...it had dropped to 165, and now is hovering at about 250. A little more tinkering and hopefully I can keep her steady @ 225ish.... Man it's gonna be a late supper!!!
    Last edited by lucky8926; 10-18-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: ADD UPDATE
    ---TROY--

I have found that there are several things that affect the drum temp ant the biggest one is wind and if it is hitting into one of your intakes. YES I had to open all 4 of mine last week but it came up very quickly (tooo quickly). My drum seems to run at 250 with both of my ball valves wide open. I can get a good solid 225 with both 3/4 to 1/2, there again depending on the wind. Remember a fire can not burn without oxygen so if you pinch it down too low it will lower the temp but it takes a while. YOU will have to learn the INs & OUTs of your drum. It does not take long with plenty of oxygen to bring it up but once there it goes down more slowly.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Yeah it's still ongoing. It's getting better though. At one point it dropped down to about 150 and I just blew in one of the intakes a few time and that brought it up again...LOL Right now it's doing better. Was at about 230, now it's dropped down to about 215 so I opened one intake just a tiny bit.
    It's not too windy here right now, and our patio is shielded on 3 sides so that's good, but like you said a little wind from the one side going into that one intake is all it might take to bring the temp back up.
    ---TROY--

Hair Dryer works great to bring it up quick.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Ya know, I thought about getting out the dust buster and using the exhaust to blow in there but amazingly enough just blowing in it worked!!
    ---TROY--

[QUOTE=lucky8926;53921]Yeah it's still ongoing. It's getting better though. At one point it dropped down to about 150 and I just blew in one of the intakes a few time and that brought it up again...LOL Right now it's doing better. QUOTE]

Do you by chance have your valves set on stand pipes? If so that could be part of the low temp problem. By running it up the side of the drum you have to place a 90 elbow at the bottom. The elbow will restrict the air flow by as much as 50%. So with the valve w/o you are only moving air like it is going through a 3/8" opening. The longer the pipe the more restriction. Fold up a bandanna and place it over you nose and mouth firmly is it hard to breath? The fire experiences the same problem. The harder it has to work to get air the less
    effective it will be.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Nope no stand pipes, it did finally even out though. Been holding between 215 and 230 for the past few hours! It took waaaaay too long though. It was much easier and mire consistent the other day during the seasoning. I hope it isn't like this every time. What shouldve been an 11 hour cook from first light to done is gonna end up being at least 13 hours.....
    ---TROY--

Well it turned out quite terrible. Taste fine but it was far from tender. Thr thinnest part at the end was able to be pulled apart with a fork but the other 75% was very tough. Needless to say, I'm quite frustrated. I spend 14 hour today messing with this and have nothing ti show for it. I have no idea what I couldve done differently to make it turn out better. Temps were unstable for over half the cook. Ranging from 150, and running away to 350 at one point.
    ---TROY--

Post some pics and we'll help ya fix it!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Troy,I just went back and looked at your post and pix from your build I know what Your problem is. your coal basket is to close to the bottom of the drum. It should be three inches to get enough air.Yours is about 1". Go to the hardware and get 4@ 3-4" 5/15 X 18 tpi carriage bolts 8 nuts and fender washers and make some legs.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast