Register Now!

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TEC/CharBroil Infrared - or any Infrared - ANYONE

Anyone out there have any experience with the TEC or Infrared Gas Grills in general.?? I have had this one over a year now and just love it. It will Sear a steak with a nice crust on the outside and RARE on the inside, just the way the wife likes hers. She likes great looking grill marks and it does that as well.

This past weekend I did my FIRST COOK on my UDS and the Butt turned out fantastic. By far the best that I have ever done or tasted and I have eaten at every BBQ Joint that I have ever run across.

The Butt was done to perfection. Internal temp of 202 and rested for one hour or so and it pulled beautifully.

This weekend I plan to do a brisket. Will document.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

Thermal Engineering (TEC) was the pioneer in infrared gas cooking.

I was surprised to see them show up on Charbroil grills because they used to only show up on $200 grils and such.

A friend had one of the first ones they made and I have cooked on it.

I noticed that the burners set up is different on the Charbroil units than on the original units. Do you know anything about the changes?

YES TEC always made $ 2,000 and up Grills. Not really. I know that they have used Stainless # 304 and the unit seems to be very well made. The marriage between TEC and CharBroil only lasted for a year at most. The there are 2 TEC burners with the Glass Plates and there are 2 regular burners (very heavy duty/walled) on the right with the 2 TEC Infrared on the left.

Excellent cooking grates made from heavy S.S. as well. A friend told me that they had a few problems with the TEC burners and that he called CB and they sent him 2 new TEC burners. I called with his complaint and they shipped me 2 new TEC Burners no questions asked and at no cost but I am not having any problems and will not replace until I do.

I LOVE it, best cooking gas grill I have ever owned and I have had a few high dollar ones in my time. The cooking surface will get in excess of
    800 and that sure puts one nice SCALD on a steak with beautiful grill marks.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hiya - CB here. I write the newsletter and blog called Sizzle on the Grill for owners of Char-Broil outdoor cooking equipment. The relationship between TEC and Char-Broil continues and just evolved to the QUANTUM and RED/Heatwave grills, as well as The Big Easy oil-less infrared turkey "fryer."

The cost of production for the original style that you have zoomed far beyond what Char-Broil believed would be in reach of average folks - the people for whom the Char-Broil products are built. While a couple of the new 2009 and upcoming 2010 grills with infrared scootch over the $1,000 mark by a dime or two - most are in the $00 - $600 range and a couple of real winners called The Urban Grill feature infrared at about $269.

The TEC/Char-Broil grill you have is also a bit more work to maintain than the average person is willing to undertake. From the picture I'd say it looks like you are a well organized guy who takes care of his tools and equipment, so most likely it is serving you well. But it certainly isn't the kind of grill you can cook on and then leave in the backyard with bits of chicken and gunk on it for weeks before turning it on to cook again. Unfortunately many folks seem to think that's the way grills should be treated.

I enjoy this forum and have picked up some very good tips here...and you are always welcome to stop by the Sizzle on the Grill Users Forums to share some of your tips or exchange ideas with other folks who have the TEC/Char-Broil grill. That forum deals exclusively with Char-Broil products and is intended to help people who own a Char-Broil to have better results with it.

Thanks for letting me post this to clarify some info...sorry if it sounds like an advertisement - not intended to be, just some specific information to share that's hard to say any other way.

No Barry, it doesn;t sound at all like an advertisement.
    I think I am speaking for all when I say that this type of info is exactly what we want here.

Now....If you had posted that everyone needed to run right out and buy a CharBroil grill....wel that might be different.

Charbroil is a definite force in the marketplace of outdoor cooking equipment, and we all like to know what they have going on.

Thank you for the post.
    FB

CB: Thanks for the reply and the information. YES I will stop by and look at blog. I love my TEC/CB and on the average I cook on it at least twice a week. All ways keep it covered and try to clean real well. I must admit that I have only used the 2 non-tec burners once for doing a chicken. I love the way I am able to get a great char/sear with the TEC burners. The quality of the stainless steel is excellent.

Wife was not happy with my grill obsession but after I fixed her first filet the way she likes it, charred on the outside and RARE (raw) on the inside, she was happy with the money that I spent.

I assumed when I no longer saw TEC name on the grills that the relationship or joint business venture had ended. Yes I still can not walk into Lowe's or Home Depot without stopping to look over the grills. Wife says it is a "GUY" thing, (She is probably right).

My regards.............

Quote Originally Posted by smokinok View Post
    Yes I still can not walk into Lowe's or Home Depot without stopping to look over the grills.
    I used to be the same way, but the quality/selection seems to be going downhill, at least at Lowe's.

I visit both stores on a regular basis and YES I feel that the quality of what I am now seeing from CB is less than what I think was present with my TEC/CB. Of course I paid more for it than they are now selling what they are calling an "infrared". Mine has a very weird gas distribution surface directly under a piece of tempered glass with high quality SS grate for the food to rest on. There are 2 of the high tech TEC burners and 2 of the regular burners that seem to be very high quality 304 stainless (probably made in US and not China). Most of the new SS that the grill mufg's are using is now coming from China.. Not sure about Weber.

I must say that I like cooking on the TEC/CB and do probably twice a week, steaks, pork chops, chicken, fish, kabobs and I always use the TEC burners..

Thanks for the note. Sign up for the newsletter! I send it out via email every Thursday evening - I'd be honored to have you on the list! And if you think it would be helpful I'll open a new board on the Users Forums just for TEC/Char-Broil grills! CB

THANKS Barry. I have signed up for your newsletter and MANY thanks for the Private Message that you sent in response to my questions. THANKS AGAIN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast