usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 36

1 members and 35 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lump Charcoal...

Ok, i've never used lump before and it seems like everyone here uses it. So....where can I get some??? I looked @ Wal mart and as I suspected, they don't carry it....
    ---TROY--

Wallly World usually carries Royal Oak lump, but with BBQ season on it's way out, they stop stocking it around this time of year.

If you can find a specialty BBQ/grilling store, they'll be able to help. I buy my lump from Academy sports, so that might be an option for you.

I'm drawing a blank on other sources. Maybe some other folks might be better able to give you some sources.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

yeah they do, its royal oak. its in a red bag and says 100% natural. im sure someone will give you other places to go, but if youre like me, wal mart is the most convenient option. its pretty good lump for my taste. but im not a pro, i only started using lump about a year and a half ago. good luck!

bbq grillware gasser
    cheap no name hand-me-down square grill
    brinkmann electric smoker
    beefmaster explorer table top gas grill

GEAUX SAINTS!!

Check your local grocery stores. Lowes home center or home depot. Hardware stores. In the south they are more likely to carry it year round, up north not so much. I've read in years passed you guys up north have to stock up during the summer months so you'll have enough to make it thur the winter. Good luck.
    Oscar

3 UDS, Treager pellet pooper

h20loo is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket h20loo is an unknown quantity at this point

I stock up in the fall as I can usually get it half price or less. I hate paying full price in the winter but 200lbs usually gets me by.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    Wallly World usually carries Royal Oak lump, but with BBQ season on it's way out, they stop stocking it around this time of year.
    Is Royal Oak lump any good? I'm heading to the city today so i'll check their wal mart and see if they have any

If you can find a specialty BBQ/grilling store, they'll be able to help. I buy my lump from Academy sports, so that might be an option for you.

I'm drawing a blank on other sources. Maybe some other folks might be better able to give you some sources.
    Is Royal Oak lump any good? I'm heading out of town today so i'll check their wal mart and see if they have any. I checked and it appears the closest bbq specialty store is about 45 min away...hope I can find some cheaper..

Quote Originally Posted by unclelchap View Post
    yeah they do, its royal oak. its in a red bag and says 100% natural. im sure someone will give you other places to go, but if youre like me, wal mart is the most convenient option. its pretty good lump for my taste. but im not a pro, i only started using lump about a year and a half ago. good luck!
    Yep thats why im hoping to find it local, don't want to have to drive too far...I'm just a beginner so right now i'll take any lump I can get then try to "refine my tastes" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzards Roost View Post
    Check your local grocery stores. Lowes home center or home depot. Hardware stores. In the south they are more likely to carry it year round, up north not so much. I've read in years passed you guys up north have to stock up during the summer months so you'll have enough to make it thur the winter. Good luck.
    Hmmmm I am going to be by Lowes/home depot today. I'll have to drop in there and see what they have. Yeah I live in central IL and ANY charcoal is hard to find past October. I usually stock up for the winter...
    ---TROY--

Royal Oak is good, IMO. It was the first lump I used and I had no problems. Since then, I've used Kingsford and B&B lump. The K-ford looked like a fireworks show as it lit. Right now I like the B&B, since I can find it local at a reasonable price and I have good results. One brand I would stay away from is Cowboy lump. I've heard a lot of reports of plywood, molding, and even rocks in the bags.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Central IL???? Grew up in Champaign.

Any hoo some other options you can try is Menards for Royal Oak which I like and have never had huge problems, just say NO to cowboy lump,

Another source is Ace hardware, they can also order it for you at no additional cost. Menards, lowes, and the depot will also order it for ya.

The local meat man should be able to get you big 40# bags as that is what they sell to people doin hog roasts. Let me know if you need more info as you are a fellow Cent. IL boy as I am. Let us know how ya did.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Thanks Chargrilled!! I'm in Lincoln, not too far away from Chambana! I'm actually on my way to menards now so I'll def see if they have any! I'll keep ya all updated on what I found. Didn't think about the butchers either.....
    ---TROY--

SmokyOkie Guest

Drop a PM to Qpoke. He's from Forrest, lives in Joliet now. I think he said he gets Cowboy at Menards in Bloomington.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast