usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

6 members and 24 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Venison Bacon

Looks good to me, David....I'll take a BLT. God, I'll bet that tastes good.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Smile Final thoughts!

The stuff actually has a great taste! The maple thing didn't work. I think I just need to add more to get the flavor. There was a hint in some of the bacon, so I think that adjusting the amount might work. I also want to contact the place where I got the maple cream and see if they have an extract. I think that would work better for what I was trying. I finished slicing the rest of the bacon and managed to get it a little thinner. That made it fry up and taste a lot better. I had some for breakfast this morning and it actually tasted like bacon. It was pretty crispy too. I ordered a small slicer for the next batch. It isn't a commercial unit, but I am keeping my eyes open for a used one in the future. Getting the slices thinner definitely helped! If someone else tries this, find someone with a decent slicer so you can get it thin. When it gets crisp, it tastes like a good thick sliced bacon!
    Sometime in the future I will try wrapping some ABT's in it to see how that works. I'm not sure if it will hold up to wrapping, but it might. That might be where a slightly thicker slice would be handy. If you haven't tried this, it is good. If you get the pork on sale or grind it yourself, it is cheaper then almost $3 a pound for the store bought stuff. (That's what it runs around here at the moment.) The only downfall is you don't get any grease off of it for cooking other things. I had to put grease into the pan to fry this stuff. The good thing is it doesn't shrink up. I actually take the left overs to work in a ziplock bag and eat it like jerky. I try to save the thicker pieces for that.

All said, I would have to say I will be doing this one again. I have to get a deer now! I used the last of my meat out of the freezer for this recipie. I have a couple of different flavors of jerky seasoning on the way. Also plan on doing some sasuage out of just pork in the near future! I just have to find time to do get it all done! If I didn't have to go to work everyday, I might have time to do some of this stuff!

Thanks for looking!

Never Play Leapfrog With A Unicorn!
    David

Tejas 1628CC
    Charbroil Commercial Series Gas Grill
    Basic Black UDS

Don't complain about having to go to work every day,I know lots of folks who would love to have that inconvenience on a daily basis.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2