» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 26

0 members and 26 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Very nice David, congrats!
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

SmokyOkie Guest

Congrats David! Just got back to civilization today. I'll be looking to see who placed where right after I send this.

After getting back from Golden City Missouri that is a on the way to be a great contest. If your in the area next year put this one on the schedual. We cooked and kept our jackets close to us. We ended up getting 4th overall, 4th in chicken, 10th in ribs, 2nd in pork, and 2nd in brisket.

SmokyOkie Guest

Man that's tough. How could you be 4th overall with such a good showing in pork and brisket?

Congrats! We hope you contuine to do well. It was nice talkin to you at Golden city.
    Oscar

3 UDS, Treager pellet pooper

Golden City is quite a burg isn't it? The biggie is Cookie's Cafe. They all stop and look at you when you walk in, sorta like a local bar.
    Where did they have the comp???
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Our 2 2nd places was trumped by Little Pig town winning 2 1st places and a 2nd place. Tough act to follow but when its their time its their time. It was held in a park beside a baseball field.

Well we had a few more contest this year than expected. We kept cooking till mid November where I flew out to Arizona and use a cooker from someone from California. This is how it went down.

We decided to chase the points in brisket, I'm setting in 2nd place only 19 points behind 1st. I worked with a guy from California to bring a FEC to the site and my brother and myself flew out Friday morning. A week earlier I sent a box out UPS to him with everything I couldn't carry on the plane. Friday we got up packed my briskets, ribs, and chicken in a carry on and off we went. We landed at 9:40 am got a rental headed to the site. On the way stopped at a Sams bought some pork butts and an ice chest. Headed to a grocery store bought all my extra ingredients like salt, pepper, and ketchup. Also got parsley. Grabbed some lunch and then headed to the cookoff. Got on site about 12;30. got my meat inspected and started in. Had a great night everything was going as planned the next morning had to start a little early with 11:00 for 1st turn in but no problem just a timing issue.

Went to the awards ceremony and right off the start we got 3rd in chicken, I thought wow here we go, then nothing in ribs, we ended up 15th, then nothing in pork but we were only 11th and just a few points out of the top 5, and then on with brisket. This is what I came for. The team I was chasing was called for 6th and then just that fast we got 5th. It was good but not good enough we can't count that I need a 1st place or it wasn't going to be counted due to how many 1st and 2nd we have this year. Ended up 4th overall.

When it was over went back and headed to a hotel room for the night. I flew out the next morning and kept thinking we didn't meet our goal but what a great time. Well thats it for me this year we get to co host a class in December for Cookshack and then on to next year. I hope I get to meet more of the Q Jointers on the trail. This has been fun maybe they will let me do this next year.

You have had a year to be proud of.Thanks for keeping us in the loop.I have enjoyed rooting for you and the other comp teams here at the Joint!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Congrats on a good year though. Sorry you didn't take the war, but you beat em in the last battle. There is next year and your goal is set. Looking forward to following you through a successful season next year.

Keep up the great work.... and thanks for sharing your season with us.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast