» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 56

0 members and 56 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for a new grill

Good Ening All!

My first post on my first day on your board.

I am looking for a new gas grill to replace my "Old Faithfull" 1983 Sears Best/Poseiden grill. I've repaired it, I've kept in good shape, and "cherished" it, but last year's performance showed me its time to step up and move on.

I really loved the cast iron cooking surfaces, and in its day this puppy had some great heat, and great control.

This is going to be out in the snow on our patio the full year, and the awning only covers it when in use, so I'm going to need stainless steel and aluminium construction. As the kids are leaving, we don't need three acres of cooking surface, and I'd like it "wheelable" that I can have it out on the street for our neighbourhood courtyard parties where I'm often asked to cook.

The new grill will "need" a rotisserie element. It, for various reasons, does not need a side cooking surface.

Easy maintenance would be a bonus.

I haven't done any serious grill shopping yet, and yes, there is a "budget" to be dealt with. Note that I live in Ontario, Canada, near Toronto, and so any grill would need to be one that is not only distributed here, but which has long term availability of parts that is reasonably "local".

Since this has GOT to be the best shot I have at exploiting a lot of "expert opinion", I'd be glad if you guys would chime in and name brands and models, and how these new "modern features" compare with the more elderly model I've spent so long with. Please don't be afraid to be critical of brands or features you've experienced, either. More info and opinion is almost always better than less!

Thanks guys, and I'll look forward to anyt wisdom, experience and counsel you care to offer...

John

First, welcome aboard, John! I hope you'll stick around a while!

Second, I haven't bought a grill, but, IMO, a Weber might fit the bill. I can't give you a specific model, though.

My reasons for thinking Weber are simple. First, they are very widely available, so no worries about finding a dealer. Second, they have a great rep for longevity. Third, parts are readily available for *years* through the company. And fourth, customer service is great.

Hope this helped.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Whichever grill you can afford from the Weber line. Quality, reliability, great customer service, and simply great working and great looking gassers. I got a gently used Genesis Silver B and it works like a charm!!
    WSM, a couple UDS's, MUDS....etc.
    Sun City BBQ Blog

Thanks Rob!

I've heard all sorts of good things about the Weber brand, though I've never owned one.

I have a "natural prejudice" for Sears product, as witness my longevity with "Old Faithfull"; I understand that Sears doesn't build these, but their "Best" grade products are in fact built by the premium builders....

Likewise my 86 year old father has a "Broil King" grill at the cottage that we bought him on his retirement, 23 years ago, and, given that he is as fussy as your granny about it, its in fantastic shape, and gets very heavy use each summer, and so another "longevity" candidate!

What I don't know anything about is how great these stainless steel grids and fireboxes and "such" are..I know I've seen them on the Cooking Network, but a Network's budget greatly exceeds mine (if they pay for them at all) and I'd love for some user experience to come out on this thread.

Hopefully, there'll be a few other "Flashburners", let alone people who have tried "low + slow" on covered grills that will pitch in with their thoughts, and I'll be able to weigh the options...

John

No worries, John.

My experience with Weber comes from several folks who own them, plus experience with my inlaws' Weber. I have yet to hear a bad report.

Good luck.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Weber will be your best shots for easy parts availibility. It will also give you the most for your money. Weber is a kinda in the middle grill as far as price, quality, and features for the money.
    Since I don't know what you want to spend and there are so many other variables, check the Webers out.
    All reviews say for the general purpose grilling the Weber e-310 is the best for money and quality.

A Sears Kenmore model 16233, rates very high as well and comes with the infared rostisserie. About $450 US.

Now for luxury models you might consider some others.
    Broilmaster, Holland, Phoneix, Bubba's BBQ's, and a ton of others.

I will say stay away from the new Ducanes. Not the same as they used to be. The company like many others has gone to mass producing and selling these things all over. The old ones could only be purchased from propane dealers, and were much higher quality.

I am partial to my phoneix. Love it. All parts inside mine are stainless. Love the expanded metal cooking grate. Allows me to cook stuff that would normally fall through unless a basket was used.
    I have cooked on Broilmasters also. Great grills. Cooking grates have height adjustments. So along with burner temp control you can move the grates to control temps as well.
    Also cooked on and older model Ducane. This was a great grill.

Goodluck in your search.
    Alan

Lang Mobile 48
    Char-broil Silver smoker w/mods
    Char Griller Smoke'n Pro w/mods
    ECB w/mods
    ECB
    Phoenix Gas grill

SmokyOkie Guest

Hey there John! Why don't you stop by the "C'mon in and sit down" forum and introduce yourself.

I have some thoughts for you on grills, but first, just exactly how much do you want to spend? I understand that U.S. goods are a little more affordable for you canucks than they used to be.

The Genesis line is affordable, the Spirit even more so. The E and S series lines are beauties. I've seen the Weber line at Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot. Give em a look see!
    I'd recommend at least 3 burners. Genesis on up has the 3 burners. Even have the pretty stainless if you want that!!

http://www.weberbbq.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/grills.aspx
    WSM, a couple UDS's, MUDS....etc.
    Sun City BBQ Blog

SmokyOkie Guest

Rumor has it that these are great. Anybody here have one?

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cf...ills/index.htm

Tim, those look really nice. I don't have any experience with the Holland line, so I can't help there.

Here is the one I was talking to you about the other day.

Click

I don't think it's what John is looking for, but others may be interested in it. (There are some other neat things on that site, too.)
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast