» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 46

0 members and 46 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I want to try different lump.

I want to try a different lump, but do not want to order anything online. My options are:

Royal Oak - This is what I use now
    DuraFlame - Naked Whiz said it was just Cowboy in a different bag
    Nature's Grilling Gourmet - Naked Whiz liked it. I have no idea what these woods are: Ebony, Limoncillo, Tenaza, Hueso de tigre and Mezquite.

So any recommendations, likes, dislikes?

Thanks
    J

I like Cowboy, but I always add wood for flavor, so I can't say weather or not it by itself "lacks" flavor due to being made from kiln dried wood. Its cheap, and fulfills my needs. Kingsford makes a lump that is so-so, and fairly spendy, but not as spendy as BGE lump. I have come across some lump that burned and tasted like it was made from old phone poles or rail ties, and it was supposed to be premium, according to the bag and the price, but the name escapes me.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

I like Lazzari Mesquite Lump Charcoal. Lots of big pieces(esp. in 40lb bag) good for long cooking like butts or brisket and smaller chunks for fast grillin' in the same bag. Not cheap but good. What I don't like is when you get near the bottom of the bag, you have a lot of dust and small pieces that fall thru the grate so there is a lot of waste.
    Last edited by tomshoots; 08-09-2009 at 05:20 PM.

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    I like Lazzari Mesquite Lump Charcoal. Lots of big pieces(esp. in 40lb bag) good for long cooking like butts or brisket and smaller chunks for fast grillin' in the same bag. Not cheap but good. What I don't like is when you get near the bottom of the bag, you have a lot of dust and small pieces tha fall thru the grate so there is a lot of waste.
    I have been importing mequite lump from Mexico for$1.75/3 kilo bag. It has large chunks as well as mall chip and a lot of dust. I would be interested in knowing if the lazzari is as bad about that as the stuff I've been getting is. Does it spark a lot?

Kingsford lump is the worst I've seen for sparking. It leaves little cinders all over everything.

J, I believe that the woods you listed are S.A. hardwood. By my experience, they tend to spark quite a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I have been importing mequite lump from Mexico for$1.75/3 kilo bag. It has large chunks as well as mall chip and a lot of dust. I would be interested in knowing if the lazzari is as bad about that as the stuff I've been getting is. Does it spark a lot?

Kingsford lump is the worst I've seen for sparking. It leaves little cinders all over everything.

J, I believe that the woods you listed are S.A. hardwood. By my experience, they tend to spark quite a lot too.
    Lazzari does a lot of snap, crackle, pop just like firewood and sparks accordingly. They sometimes land on my skin causing me to say things like!! Once ashed over it settles down. The tiny chunks and dust are prolly just the nature of the beast.

As for your imported stuff, I'd be interested in knowing how the cost compares to what I bought at the feed store for $11.change(tax included)for 20 lb bag.

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    Lazzari does a lot of snap, crackle, pop just like firewood and sparks accordingly. They sometimes land on my skin causing me to say things like!! Once ashed over it settles down. The tiny chunks and dust are prolly just the nature of the beast.

As for your imported stuff, I'd be interested in knowing how the cost compares to what I bought at the feed store for $11.change(tax included)for 20 lb bag.
    $1.75 for a 6.6# bag=.265per pound

20#/11.00= .55/lb

So it's a little less than half the price, but then there's freight.

I use Cowboy alot because it's easy to pick up at Lowes. Like schantz I have never used it without adding hardwood to it. My favorite is Ozark Oak, which Tim told me about, no need to add any hardwood to it and not that much more than anything else. I would like to try some of this mesquite lump, would probably be kick ash on briskets!
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

SmokyOkie Guest

Hit me up. I'll bring you a bag or two next time we do a comp together.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    $1.75 for a 6.6# bag=.265per pound

20#/11.00= .55/lb

So it's a little less than half the price, but then there's freight.
    So prolly no big advantage for me to import. Thanks.

SmokyOkie Guest

That depends on how much you use and where Pattison is. Sounds to me like it's the same stuff in a different bag. The stuff I get is labeled in Spanish.

I mean, if you use a lot, you could come close to cutting your cost in half, especially if you don't have to ship it very far. It comes out of Reynosa Mexico.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast