usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 142

4 members and 138 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default When do you insert the tmeter probe?

I've got a 10 pounder on the drum to smoke tonight, and I'm planning to do another one SO style tomorrow.

One thing I haven't figured out is when to put the temp probe into the meat. I never do until after 7 or 8 hours or so into the cook. I notice in the sticky, It's mentioned that the meat is under pressure and sticking a probe into it can cause a geyser. If so, how/when should the probe be inserted?

Thanks.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

It won't squirt while the probe is in it. It's when you take it out that it squirts.

There is really no sense in sticking the probe in until after the second flip when the foil goes on though. You would have to pull it out each time you flipped it otherwise. Besides, It won't be clsoe to done until after that anyway.

Sorta what I thought. Put it on about 2 pm, took it off about 7. Drum ran between 275-350 indicated. I put a diffuser just above the charcoal to try to keep some of the heat out of the midde. Didn't bother with a thermometer until I remembered to check it. Went right in w'no resistance. Read 205. Took it out and it's resting. Have a good inch or so of broth in the pan.

Biggest issue may be that I had a bad case of cranial/rectal inversion and forgot the pepper before I seared it. Pretty dumb, huh? Guess we'll find out how it tastes later.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    Sorta what I thought. Put it on about 2 pm, took it off about 7. Drum ran between 275-350 indicated. I put a diffuser just above the charcoal to try to keep some of the heat out of the midde. Didn't bother with a thermometer until I remembered to check it. Went right in w'no resistance. Read 205. Took it out and it's resting. Have a good inch or so of broth in the pan.

Biggest issue may be that I had a bad case of cranial/rectal inversion and forgot the pepper before I seared it. Pretty dumb, huh? Guess we'll find out how it tastes later.
    It ought to still be good. The pepper just makes it better.

At 205, it will be difficult to slice w/o falling apart. You may want to consider pulling it. Pulled brisket makes outstanding sammies.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    http://www.headcountry.com/Product.aspx?ID=38

They have it at Sam's and walmart all around the country. I don't know if they do in your area, but I bet a quick phone call or two would tell ya.

Been using it for a long time . Early postings my me I was afraid to mention said product out right . This stuff works great ( Head ) championship rub . It makes killer briskets and ribs ... I still however prfewr my own mix for my pork butts .. but Head is excellent .... but after reading I see it's ok to post about products without bannishment lmao .....

Quote Originally Posted by TripleBQ View Post
    Been using it for a long time . Early postings my me I was afraid to mention said product out right . This stuff works great ( Head ) championship rub . It makes killer briskets and ribs ... I still however prfewr my own mix for my pork butts .. but Head is excellent .... but after reading I see it's ok to post about products without bannishment lmao .....
    My first experience with Head Country was a Christmas gift pack from my BIL. Loved it. Wanted more and bought it online. Now I find it's available at H-E-B Stores in Texas.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

2 more questions on this method: how long do you sear for? and do you sear from refrigerated or room temperature?

I sear mine till they are black all over .I cant get mine black enough .Black is beautiful .The blacker the better.I to use a lot of black pepper .the more the better ,& i ad some white pepper to it .
    Every body gonna have their own way.but smokie is a good un .Ive done dozens of them so far and like his recipe & way of doing it up.
    LOve to grill and eat .
    The balck oval primos x tr lrg
    Steve

4% of something that tastes like nothing is probably not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by udlooz View Post
    2 more questions on this method: how long do you sear for? and do you sear from refrigerated or room temperature?
    It isn't a matter of low long, it is a matter of how well seared it is.

It doesn't hurt to over do it a little, and under doing it just robs you of a little flavor.

It isn't really any different than searing a large steak.

I always like to set meat out for an hour or two before cooking, but it won't kill it if you take it straight from the fridge.

I'm following this to the T. I now have to talk the wife into taking me to a bar for 2 hours. I seared it till it caught on fire. You think that was good enough?
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast