Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 96

5 members and 91 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wood Trade....

I'm interested in that info too. The ice storm last winter left plenty of it available.

I actually have quite a bit of Pear i scored last year, just gotta chunk it up and it's ready to go!
    I have heard nothin but good things about, similiar to apple, sorta sweet smoke!
    I will try some this weekend and give a report!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

I'll wait to see your report. Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by mwthomas View Post
    Has anyone ever cooked with pear? I'll be cutting a pear tree down soon and don't know whether to save the wood or throw it on the burn pile.
    DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT THAT PEAR ON THE BURN PILE. it is very much like apple wood. It has a great taste and aroma. If you dont want it, I'm sure someone will snap it up in a hurry.

What kinds pear is it? I mean is it fruiting pear or ornamental (bradford)?

fruiting. it's about half green - half dead. this is the first year it hasn't had pears on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I've got hickory and pecan both but no chain saw to slice the logs up into packable pieces. Any suggestions on an easy way to slice them up (and I don't think shoving them up my would be effective).

I have a rick of cherry w/ another on the way, but I'll send you some hickry or pcn if you want some.

Now if you're eever headed this direction and have a whole rick of cherry, I'd swap you 1 1/2 ricks of pecan for it.
    I have a wood splitting maul that I use to split my wood with. When I get rich, I'm gonna get me a hydraulic splitter. A friend of mine has a cherry tree a in his backyard that was destroyed by the ice storm. He told me that if I wanted to come and cut it down I could have the wood. Me and my son are going to do that this coming weekend. I have quite a bit of apple ,pear and pecan that I got as a result of the ice storm to go along with the large supply of hickory I already had cut and split. The ice storm we had here in Oklahoma was tragic for the tree here. But it sure was a God send for smokers!!

Quote Originally Posted by rwc565 View Post
    I have a wood splitting maul that I use to split my wood with. When I get rich, I'm gonna get me a hydraulic splitter. A friend of mine has a cherry tree a in his backyard that was destroyed by the ice storm. He told me that if I wanted to come and cut it down I could have the wood. Me and my son are going to do that this coming weekend. I have quite a bit of apple ,pear and pecan that I got as a result of the ice storm to go along with the large supply of hickory I already had cut and split. The ice storm we had here in Oklahoma was tragic for the tree here. But it sure was a God send for smokers!!
    I'll come and help for a little of the cherry stash.

Me too. I also have two small pecans trees that went down in the storm at my office parking lot,but I don't have a chain saw. It would be easy to strap them to my truck and pull them the rst of the way down. There's prolly 3/4 of a rick to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Me too. I also have two small pecans trees that went down in the storm at my office parking lot,but I don't have a chain saw. It would be easy to strap them to my truck and pull them the rst of the way down. There's prolly 3/4 of a rick to be had.
    I would come and cut it up for you for part of it.If your interested, let me know and I'll give you my cell #.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
    I'll come and help for a little of the cherry stash.
    I got the cherry stash taken care of...thanks anyway

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast