» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 37

0 members and 37 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Rotiserre Question

Pretty much a novice compared to what I have been reading on this site...so I want to ask y'all...

I have never used a Rotissere before...I have a 3 pound pork roast that I want to turn.
    What temp should I keep?
    I am planning to use a dry rub all around, then pull it and mix our wet sauce...unless I get some better ideas from y'all....

Any advice?

Not sure what type of grill you are using, so that's gonna makes a difference. Regardless of the grill and type of heat or fuel, the temperature of the roast is what matters as for judging how long to cook it. So use an instant read thermometer to check it every so often after the first 25 minutes - and/or place an oven safe meat thermometer in the end by the spit forks so it is mid way into the meat between the metal spit and surface.

Just guessing it's a gas grill, and you will close the lid. In that case a low-to-medium flame directly beneath the roast may be appropriate. If it were a charcoal fire, then I'd say bank it to the rear and bring a small portion forward.

You'll be cooking with hot air mostly, like an indoor oven, if you are cooking on a gas grill with heat underneath

If you are cooking with charcoal then you are cooking with some (about 35% or so) infrared and hot air.

If your grill has a rotisserie burner in the back, it's most likely infrared and I believe most manufacturers recommend using just that burner.

If on a gas you may want to have a drip pan beneath and I'd also recommend you brine that pork roast to ensure it's got plenty o'moisture. S'pecially if it's a pork loin that's tied together!

Here's recipe I use all the time - you may want to review it and make changes appropriate to your cooker and taste.

ROTISSERIE PORK ROAST

SmokyOkie Guest

What cut of pork do you have?

If it is anything other than butt, you will most likely not want to think in terms of pulling, but rather slicing. If you are going to pull it, 225-325 will do you well. the problem there i that as small as it is, it will most likely dry out before i becomes tender enough to pull. I would recommend that you turn it long enough to bark it up and get that good rotiss flavor, then foil it and cook it indirect for the bulk of the duration of the cook.

If it is a slicing cut then 325 or higher would be the rule and you would want to take it off at about 145.

I had a pork roast and went with the slice....

Barry-CB nailed the situation almost perfectly. I have a gas grill...no infared back burner...preheated the grill to about 400 and backed off the heat to 325 once I put the spit over the heat...I checked the internal temp at 30/60/75/90/105 minutes. The roast was very moist and juicy. I used a garlic and herb dry rub.

We have another roast we will turn...but next time I'll use a chipotle dry rub and baste with our home made wet sauce.

I am very pleased with the outcome considering I had never done this and i didn't read the replioes in the thread until after I had started the turn...begginners luck?

Wow, that looks great! I'd like a slice, thanks!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

That looks really good. Thanks for posting.

That is calling my name.PAAAUUULLLL

Looks good my friend!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

SmokyOkie Guest

Look great BD. what cut of roast was it?

It looks like boneless loin in the sliced pic, but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Look great BD. what cut of roast was it?

It looks like boneless loin in the sliced pic, but not the other.
    It is a bone-in pork roast....