» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 41

0 members and 41 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,366
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Rub Proportions Discussion

Hey guys,
    What's your thoughts on proportions for sugar/paprika, specifically... If anyone wants to discuss sugar/salt/pepper/??? I'm game. I'm just looking to mod this Paul P's Blackening Seasoning for a rib rub for tomorrow. I've always started drinking before the preparation of the rub... and it shows. So, I want to do a bit of work ahead of time.

Obviously, I'm going to have to quadruple (at least) this for a decent batch, but I was thinking equal parts brown sugar to paprika, but I wanted to see what you guys thought here.

1tablespoon sweet paprika
    2 ½teaspoons salt
    1teaspoon onion powder
    1teaspoon garlic powder
    1teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
    ¾teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
    ¾teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    ½teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    ½teaspoon dried oregano leaves

Also, if anyone just has a favorite rib rub they've been using and want to share, I'm all ears. I looked at the LBJ and I'm not feeling the dried lemon for this batch... But, I'm game for suggestions.

Thanks!

SmokyOkie Guest

I'd add equal parts salt paprika and WHITE sugar, then add cumin and coriander in equal parts by weight to the thyme.

I'd alsao replace the cayenne with chipotle powder and add a little ground red NM chili.

I don't know why, it's just that old food A.D.D.

This might be of use to you. It was created by Troy Conner of Extreme Roasters BBQ...hope this helps some.

What is a rub? Well, simply put, it is a blend of dry spices and or herbs that is either sprinkled on, massaged into, or used to season after cooking. I suppose it came about as a convenience instead of lugging around 16-20 different containers of various ingredients, you can simply mix them and now you have only one shaker filled with just the right proportion of each ingredient.

This is where it may get tricky, opinion and tastes vary widely, influenced by region, ethnicity, age and personal experience – there truly is no accounting for taste! As a result, that “just right” proportion will differ from person to person. This is the perfect reason for you to experiment to find what is “just right” for you or your family.

Lucky for us, a significant amount of work has already been done by pit masters and spice companies to pre-package that “just right” blend. There are many, many good and proven rubs on the market today. A good way to start may be to use an existing rub and then just add to or piggyback a few spices that you or your dish demand more of…..

Alternatively, we can simply look to the ingredient labels and borrow from their trial and error. Ingredients are listed by weight so the first listed is the most abundant and the second is #2 by weight and so on and so on. Here are a few that I had on hand:

#1 #2 #3 #4

Sugar Sugar Salt Salt
    Salt Pepper Paprika Sugar
    Chili powder MSG Sugar Onion
    Onion Chili powder garlic garlic
    Paprika Garlic Red pepper tomato
    Black pepper MSG
    White pepper
    Oregano
    Cayenne
    Cumin
    All spice

From the ingredients listed above and by our own trials, I would like to craft an all purpose type of rub, a rub that will compliment the natural goodness of virtually any meat. Clearly, salt and sugar are the two most common ingredients. There will make up the “body” of our rub. I have found a good ratio to start with is:
    4 parts body
    2 parts flavors
    1 part strong flavor or ‘Wow’

So, using a teaspoon, tablespoon, shot glass, or cup depending on the amount you want to end up with, use the same measure for all ingredients.

Below is pace provided for our rub formulations.
    #1 All Purpose
    2 body ingredients __________________________ example: 4 shots each salt and sugar
    2-3 flavor ingredients _______________________ 2 shots each of chili powder, paprika, black pepper
    1-2 strong flavors __________________________ 1 shot each of red pepper, cumin

Next,, by adding just a few more ingredients, we can tweak our rub for specific cuts with the same basic formula, i.e., 4-2-1
    4 parts all purpose as the ‘body’
    2-3 parts flavor ingredients
    1-2 strong flavor

Chicken Pork Beef

Added flavor #1_____________ _____________ ________________
    #2_____________ _____________ ________________
    #3_____________ _____________ ________________

Added Strong #1_____________ _____________ ________________
    Flavor #2_____________ _____________ ________________

Spices to consider for BBQ:
    All Spice Garlic
    Anise Ginger
    Barbeque spice Lemon
    Basil Mace
    Bay leaf Marjoram
    Caraway seed MSG
    Celery seed Mustard
    Chives Nutmeg
    Cilantro Onion
    Citric acid Orange
    Cloves Parsley
    Coriander Rosemary
    Crushed pepper Sage
    Cumin Savory
    Curry Tarragon
    Dill Thyme
    Fennel White pepper
    Tonto.

Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

www.smokinscotsmen.com

Geer Pit by Jambo
    FEC-100
    WSM
    WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

KCBS #22O85
    CBJ #22085

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.

That's what I used to develop my rib/pork rub! Good info there.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Nice worksheet Tonto, thank you for the contribution.

I might add for the folks that are new to blending spices that you should also consider the consistency and weight of the ingredients as well.

for instance, cut leaf thyme is very lightweight, even as compared to ground thyme. So if you are using a very light ingredient, you would want to vary from the shotglasses-tbs or whatever if you want to be accurate. You also would want to make certain that you note the form of the ingredient and use the same form next time. Another example would be uing granulated garlic as opposed to powder. Granulated weighs more.

Paprika leaves little flavor in a long cook, if you use a lot of it it gets gritty.

For me it is about equal parts of salt and sugar then play with what you like.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

SmokyOkie Guest

Gee Jim, sounds to me like you might want to consider shanging Paprika suppliers.

I love the flavor of good paprika.

I like the flavor of paprika but I don't find it holds up to long cooks. I would add it late in a long cook to get the flavor benefits. It's does good things for color.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

SmokyOkie Guest

It i definitely easily overpowered by other flavors, but I have found that it holds it own with garlic quite well and that the two compliment eachother well.

I'm into smoked paprika. Good stuff Maynard.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne