Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 29

11 members and 18 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

That almost sounded like the crack of a cold beer on a really hot day. You'll need to keep pics of the build coming Paul.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Question More information if you can

Quote Originally Posted by SDJ1 View Post
    I posed a question on here recently about removeing the top of a closed head drum, got some helpful advice and here,s how I did it,

Before attempting this remeber it is dangerous and many people have been killed or maimed cutting drums up, if in doubt make sure its empty and then fill it with water before grinding or take it to someone that knows what there doing.

I used a 4inch angle grinder and ground away the side of the top bead

Attachment 1472

Keep grinding until you can cleary see 3 edges.
    Attachment 1473
    I used an old chisel to separate the lid from the drum and only had to tap it in about 3 or 4 places then twist and the lid fell out.
    Attachment 1474
    Attachment 1475

the drums I'm using have a nice snug fit 3/4 inch deep lid that should seal up nice and tight.
    next its time to grind away all the sharp edges, finish off by hand using emery paper.

Of course whilst makin a new drum I had to fire up the old one and cook some marinated beef short ribs and 2 ears of corn, (gotta keep the vegie intake up)
    Attachment 1476

Hope this helps, cheers Steve.
    So, to make sure Im getting this right?.....the lip that hangs over the top of the barrel at the top...start underneath it, and grind my way upwards all the way around????.....how long did it take you to do that?....Im new at this and I have a great source for Olive Oil Drums, that are closed with bung on top with NO liner inside.....best thing about it....Olive oil is coating the inside, so all I need to do is put some Oak and other fruit woods, which will season it from the get go!!!!!

Just go straight in from the outside of the lip..if you come in from the bottom, you will have lots to grind. Just keep the grinder on that radius and you will start to see the crack as the steel around it gets hot, the line will appear. Be careful of the sharp edges.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Default Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Just go straight in from the outside of the lip..if you come in from the bottom, you will have lots to grind. Just keep the grinder on that radius and you will start to see the crack as the steel around it gets hot, the line will appear. Be careful of the sharp edges.
    So the outer lip that sits just over the top edge...just start grinding that till I see the opening....after I do that do you think I will be able to use the top of the drum as a lid?.....don't have too many webber grill 22.5 lids around. they are like gold......

You will want to weld a band around the circumference of it to use it for a lid. PM Chargrilled. I think his is done that way.

You should be able to use the lid on the drum, I would just make sure all the edges are de-burred.
    Tim, Travis cut the lip completely off his, this is just the bead, there will be some meat left on the drum after the crimp is cut away.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

You should be able to use the lid on the drum, I would just make sure all the edges are de-burred.
    Tim, Travis cut the lip completely off his, this is just the bead, there will be some meat left on the drum after the crimp is cut away.
    Do you think there will be enough structure to keep the drum in round?

Default Grinding off Closed Lid

Thanks guys, any further information is KUDOS

Default just don't see it

Hi, I went and used the cut off top that I had from cutting the barrel last weekend (3 inches down)...pretty much leaving the entire top half (lid lip and all intact)...My barrel had that straight edged upper lip not the ball type lip...I tried cutting on that edge and could not find where the two meet and seperate....either I am just a moron.

Does your drum have a rolled or crimped edge?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast