» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 51

0 members and 51 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Store bought sauce.

I will give you a moment to wipe off the monitor of whatever you just spit up on it.

I have been to forums where if you didn't grow all the spices yourself, that your sauce/rub was inferior.
    I really like Presidents Choice Smokin' Stampede Beer & Chipotle Barbecue Sauce and their Dad's grill maple, apple and beer sauce.

So here is my question. Do you use a store bought sauce/spice? I am not talking about compitition, just everyday, at home, cooking for the family.
    If so, what do you like?
    J

About 1/2 and 1/2 for me. I'm starting to make my own more and more now that I know how simple it is to do it better than the store-bought stuff.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I have a favorite sauce and rub that I like to make myself but I also like Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar sauce. I also have tried Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce on chicken - pretty darn good stuff!

I don't know of anyone who grows all of their own spices or how they could,
    Paprika? Of course I am in Wisconsin, not the longest growing season here. I make a few sauces on a regular basis but my family is still partial to Sweet Baby Rays.

SmokyOkie Guest

While I have several sauces that are my own recipes and I use them frequently, I also use store bought sauces frequently, both straight and augmented.

Two of the winningest competition sauces on the market are Head Country and Blues Hog. While I don't know if you can get them in that great white land to the north, I'm sure someone here could arrange a small gift quantity to be shipped to you if you'd like to try some.

To me, sauces are like spices or herbs, Variety is the name of the game, and I wouldn't want to be stuck using the same one over and over again.

I have a sauce I make, but it takes up too much time when I am already behind. Tonight I did nine chicken breasts (some for supper and the rest to take to work) but I didn't get the fire started until 6:00. There was no time to make a sauce.
    Actually, I should be eating instead of posting, but my beer is not empty yet.

I really love this place. (insert sappy crap here) I had two replies by the time I typed out my reply.

When it comes to Sweet Baby Ray's all I can get is the original.

Smokin Stampede contains:
    Sugar, water, tomato paste, white vinegar, salt, spices (contain chipotle peppers), brown sugar, modified corn starch, canola and/or soybean oil, natural flavour, onion and garlic powder, caramel colour, coffee, beer, tamarind extract, bourbon, mustard flour, xanthan gum

I don't know if that is close to what you guys can get down south.

J

SmokyOkie Guest

You should make your sauces in larger batches and have them on hand, but if you like the store bought stuff, why not use it.

I have a sauce that I make that works good, but we also like Sweet Baby Rays "Honey Chipolte" gives you the taste and feeling of "it's gonna get hot" but then mellows out and is sweet, the kids really like it.

SmokyOkie Guest

As a rule, chipotle is good about showing up on the back end of the flavor profile as opposed to cayenne which tends to show up at the front.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast