Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 42

2 members and 40 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default New clarification on rib rule

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    2 ribs stuck together so we got the partial DQ on ribs, but we ended up 43 out of 54 even with the DQ. Sat slightly ahead of middle of the pack on the other categories. Chicken and pork were great, but didn't score like we thought they should.

Doo Doo occurs.
    At the last board meeting the issue of a DQ of an entry in which the Reps determined they could not see 6 separated and identifiable (visible) portions of meat in a container, was discussed. (Rule 15) In fact there were 7 portions in the box.

The Board said the rule is clear and when you cannot visibly see 6 separated and identifiable (visible) portions it is a DQ in appearance.

It was discussed that many cooks try to make their ribs look like a single slab. The Board said that was a rule violation.

This advisory was sent to all Contest Reps:

Subject: Six Identifiable (Visible) Pieces (Rule #15)

Question: What do the reps do when six identifiable pieces are not visible?

Opinion: All judges will give a score of 1 in appearance if due diligence is taken and six identifiable pieces can not be seen. All judges score taste and tenderness unless they did not receive a sample and then that judge would give a 1 in all criteria.

Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009

The Board did not change any rule. It was the duty of the board to determine if rule 15 was ambiguous or confusing, which it is not. This is not a rule change. The Board said follow the existing rules. Many cooks have been allowed in the past to get by in violation of this rule. Please prepare your entry so as to not violate this rule.

Merl

FYI
    Casual and Competitive Cooking
    Traeger 124 (sold)
    Backwoods Ext Party Rolling on 10's (sold)
    Original Oklahoma Joes 20" with Vertical Chamber
    Weber Genesis gasser
    Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
    PS custom
    http://www.partyshacksmokers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Partyshack BBQ View Post
    At the last board meeting the issue of a DQ of an entry in which the Reps determined they could not see 6 separated and identifiable (visible) portions of meat in a container, was discussed. (Rule 15) In fact there were 7 portions in the box.

The Board said the rule is clear and when you cannot visibly see 6 separated and identifiable (visible) portions it is a DQ in appearance.

It was discussed that many cooks try to make their ribs look like a single slab. The Board said that was a rule violation.

This advisory was sent to all Contest Reps:

Subject: Six Identifiable (Visible) Pieces (Rule #15)

Question: What do the reps do when six identifiable pieces are not visible?

Opinion: All judges will give a score of 1 in appearance if due diligence is taken and six identifiable pieces can not be seen. All judges score taste and tenderness unless they did not receive a sample and then that judge would give a 1 in all criteria.

Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009

The Board did not change any rule. It was the duty of the board to determine if rule 15 was ambiguous or confusing, which it is not. This is not a rule change. The Board said follow the existing rules. Many cooks have been allowed in the past to get by in violation of this rule. Please prepare your entry so as to not violate this rule.

Merl

FYI
    We were made aware of the issue in contest at the cooks meeting prior to the Claremore contest.

In clarification for those not familiar with the rule, at issue here is that now, they are making an issue out of whether or not there separation of the ribs is visible to the contest reps.

In the past, the issue was more whether or not the ribs separated when picked up by the judges.

The ribs we turned in were clearly separated in the box. The reason we got the partial DQ was that one of the cuts between the ribs did not go all the way through and thus, the ribs did not separate when one of the judges picked it up.

This will cause quite a stir but what the hell.

My opinion: That was bs to disqualify that team for not having 6 visable pieces. Really, they weren't visable? Then how did they know they had 7 ribs? My problem is that the rule doesn't state at what point in judging they have to be visable - do they have to be visable durring appearance scoring or does it have to be identifiable when it comes your turn to pull a piece out of the box? They need to clarify the rule to say that the pieces need to be identifiable durring the presentation scoring before they start dq'ing.

Sorry to hijack
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

I think it is ludicrous to say that there must be visibly 6 pieces. I mean what if they are visible to some and not others. What are they gonna do anyway, get out a microscope? If that is gonna be the measure, then what if they see 6 separate pieces, but two of them stick together like ours did?

What purpose could this serve anyway?

The original issue was based on making 6 slices appear to be one slab.

If you look at some boxes from the brethren site, you will see some good examples.

Personally I don't know what the big stink is about. The rule states 6 "distinguishable pieces" if it appears to be one slab than it is only one distinguishable piece.

So somebody got away with it for some time and now they are cracking down.

Rules are meant to be followed and nobody can get mad because they follow/enforce them.
    (somebody call the whaaaambulance)

It's like running the same stop sign every day and one day you get a ticket.

No reason to be mad at the cop for pulling you over. You knew that running the light was a rule violation.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

4 out of 6 boxes of ribs that I judged tried to make them look like a solid rack of ribs. None of them looked like a slab though. I don't care either way because I don't arrange my ribs like that. If I could cut them better I would have tried to make them look like that but I am not good enough and now I know better.

and

I don't want to hear any whining around here, so I'll shut up
    Last edited by Butt Lover's; 05-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Quote Originally Posted by glued2it View Post

The original issue was based on making 6 slices appear to be one slab.

If you look at some boxes from the brethren site, you will see some good examples.

Personally I don't know what the big stink is about. The rule states 6 "distinguishable pieces" if it appears to be one slab than it is only one distinguishable piece.

So somebody got away with it for some time and now they are cracking down.

Rules are meant to be followed and nobody can get mad because they follow/enforce them.
    (somebody call the whaaaambulance)

It's like running the same stop sign every day and one day you get a ticket.

No reason to be mad at the cop for pulling you over. You knew that running the light was a rule violation.
    this year's rules state "6 distinguishable (visible) pieces. I don't think last year's rules stated the word visible.

Personally, I don't see what purpose is served by making them have to be visibly distinguishable. I mean, if they aren't separate, the judges will find out when they go to pick them up.

I also don;t see what there is to " get away with"

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post
    4 out of 6 boxes of ribs that I judged tried to make them look like a solid rack of ribs. None of them looked like a slab though. I don't care either way because I don't arrange my ribs like that. If I could cut them better I would have tried to make them look like that but I am not good enough and now I know better.

and

I don't want to hear any whining around here, so I'll shut up
    they will fix the rule because its crazy to dq for that. Hell on our ribs its hard enough to put 6 side by side without making it tight. To fix the problem they should goto dixie or chinet (whoever the box producer is) and demand they make a bigger box because we have the stupid rule that we can't fix
    Casual and Competitive Cooking
    Traeger 124 (sold)
    Backwoods Ext Party Rolling on 10's (sold)
    Original Oklahoma Joes 20" with Vertical Chamber
    Weber Genesis gasser
    Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
    PS custom
    http://www.partyshacksmokers.com