Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 51

3 members and 48 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 2,924
Threads: 13,649
Top Poster: PigCicles (9,703)
Welcome to our newest member, lcjones228
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is hprb update a Trojan?

I get the little flashing prompt all the time in my tool tray telling me that hprb update wants access. My security tells me that it doe not recognize the publisher.

It appears that one i supposed to think that it is from Hewlett Packard, but if it was, wouldn;t the security system be able to recognize the publisher as being HP?

I've never loaded it because it is an .exe file and I'm not sure who is sending it.

Does anybody know anything definite about it?

It seems like you asked this question, or one very similar about a year ago.

What is the entire file name? Have you tried using google to see what hits you get?

I'm inclined to believe that it's an update for some peripheral device made by Hewlett Packard. I'm just guessing though.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post

What is the entire file name? Have you tried using google to see what hits you get?

I'm inclined to believe that it's an update for some peripheral device made by Hewlett Packard. I'm just guessing though.
    I did, I have ( with no definitive success) and I think that is what you are supposed to think.

As I said, I really don;t think that Hewlett Packard has anything to do with it, and besides that, I have absolutely no HP peripherals on this computer, nor do I have any HP drivers on it.

Windows comes loaded with a ton of HP drivers, so if you didn't take them off, they're probably still on there. hprbupdate.exe is an updater for HP drivers. Every time HP changes a driver, it sends out an update, similar to Windows. Is your machine a Compaq by chance? HP bought them out a few years ago and that could be the reason as well. You should be able to search for that file and delete it. Or, look for it in services and disable it.
    To do that, right click on the my computer icon, select manage, dbl click on services and applications, dbl. click services and look in that list to see if it's there. There should be an option to set it to manual or just shut it off.
    Give that a whirl.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post

Be careful!

As I was attempting to do some research for this topic I clicked on one of the websites and immediatly a windows security center window came up that said I was infected with the I worm trojan and that I should run the software they wanted me to download.

I run ZoneAlarm so it sent up a red flag to me right away.I looked up at the address bar and it said future scan or something of that nature,but everything else was a perfect copy of windows security center.I could not close the screen.Had to power down my computer and ran a scan overnight.No infections were found.

Could have been a company just trying to sell their software or could have been something malicious.
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Windows comes loaded with a ton of HP drivers, so if you didn't take them off, they're probably still on there. hprbupdate.exe is an updater for HP drivers. Every time HP changes a driver, it sends out an update, similar to Windows. Is your machine a Compaq by chance? HP bought them out a few years ago and that could be the reason as well. You should be able to search for that file and delete it. Or, look for it in services and disable it.
    To do that, right click on the my computer icon, select manage, dbl click on services and applications, dbl. click services and look in that list to see if it's there. There should be an option to set it to manual or just shut it off.
    Give that a whirl.
    On a scale of 1-10, how certain of that are you?

Also, my LT is a Toshiba. I don't think there is any HP software on it.

Also

Bout a 10...
    Clicky
    I wonder, do you have an HP camera? Weired that that would come up if it's an HP Virgin...
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I'm still not sure that it is in fact from HP. Everything else I get from them uses a capital HP, not lower case.

I'd just do a search for the .exe and delete it, then run a scan with Spybot-Search and Destroy. If you have anything, that will find it. If you use it, make sure you download the latest updates.
    Keep us posted...
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I went to H.P. and did a search for hprb.Nothing.

hpbr comes up .

http://search.hp.com/query.html?sh=1...&la=en&qt=hprb

Hope it helps.
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast