Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 20

6 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How many coals - formula

From "Field Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking", Lodge Mfg. Co. -

RULES OF THUMB FOR JUDGING TEMPERATURE
    To determine the number of coals (charcoal briquettes) needed, take the size of the oven (the diameter in inches) and double the number. Divide that number by three. Put one third of the coals under the oven. The remainder goes on the lid.
    Example -
    Using a standard 12" diameter, 3 3/4" depth oven:
    12 X 2 = 24; 24 divided by 3 = 8 coals. Put 1/3 under the oven, 2/3 on top. This will provide 350F oven temperature. If using a deep oven (usually 5") add an extra 2-4 coals to the lid.
    Each briquette adds or decreases about 10-13 degrees in temperature to the Dutch oven. (8-10 briquettes will add about 100 degrees to the inside cooking temperature of the oven) Under ideal cooking conditions, fresh briquettes yield up to one hour of cooking time.

Most Dutch oven cooking is done at 350F. The formula for maintaining that temperature in different size ovens is -

Oven Size - 8" 10" 12" 14" 16"
    Coals on top 11 14 16 18 22
    Coals on bottom 5 7 8 9 11

Frying, boiling, steaming need higher heat on the bottom of the oven, while baking requires more even heat on top and bottom. Wind and ambient temperature have a decided effect. Coals burn out quickly in windy conditions. Ash accumulation decreases the efficency of the coals. Keep a whisk broom handy to brush the top or bottom to remove ashes.
    You need to watch your heat as the coals burn down. The temperature will drop and you will need to add coals for items that require more than one hour of cooking time.
    This is far from everything you need to know, but it is a start.
    Last edited by peculiarmike; 02-09-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    The other fatboy

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to get a DO pretty quick and this'll come in handy.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

If anybody is interested the Wallymart in Grapevine, TX had, I think they were 8 quart Lodge Dutch ovens on clearance. These were the camp type with the legs and the lip on the lid for the coals. They were marked down to $25.00, normally $54.00. If I had any room for more, I would have bought at least one!

James.

Good buy in Grapevine. If I were still flying to DFW once a week I'd jump on it. Sorta strange "carry on", wonder what they would think of that?
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

I have a couple of the 12 in. DO's that Harbor Freight sells. I think I got them on sale about 2 years ago for 10 bucks a pop. These things are heavy duty and have worked very well for me. I would recommend them for sure. I love Lodge, but they are pricey. I've gotten my Lodge gear on sale too...........the only way I could afford it. I'll see if I can find a link to them DO's.
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=dutch+oven
    WSM, a couple UDS's, MUDS....etc.
    Sun City BBQ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    If anybody is interested the Wallymart in Grapevine, TX had, I think they were 8 quart Lodge Dutch ovens on clearance.
    Just so y'all know, I think they cleared. I hit 7-8 Wally Worlds the other day and couldn't find a one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisketRex View Post
    I have a couple of the 12 in. DO's that Harbor Freight sells. ...
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=dutch+oven
    Thanks for the link! One of those stores isn't far from my house, so I may be able to check it out this weekend.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

I got the HF 10 and 12 inch DO's. They work great after you get them seasoned good. I also got a couple 10 inch bean pots a couple cast iron griddles, a few cast iron skillets, from a small 3inch to a 10 incher. Ready to go camping. Got to get my grill fired up and cook some ribs.

Try this site to help you get started ..

http://www.dianthomas.com/a-dutchovenbasics.htm

They use the 3 up and 3 down formula (add 3 to the top subtract 3 from the bottom)

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Try this site to help you get started ..

http://www.dianthomas.com/a-dutchovenbasics.htm

They use the 3 up and 3 down formula (add 3 to the top subtract 3 from the bottom)

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.
    Never trust a skinny person for food advice.

You can get trivets here:http://www.basspro.com/Lodge-Logic-C...roduct/100348/ or GOOGLE cast iron trivets. Enjoy your CI and the food you prepare.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast