usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

4 members and 19 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More drum build questions

So . . . finally picked up my drum this morning. Though it was "painted", the paint job is very poor. I can still see some of the original blue through the black and there are runs. The question is . . . should i go the cheap route and just touch up the black. Or paint the whole thing silver to take advantage of the reflectivity. How much difference do you all think the silver makes? I am planning on eventually (if not right away) using a kettle grill lid to increase my capacity. Presumably the kettle grill lid would be black (I've had zero luck finding a cheap used one), so I'm leaning toward just keeping the drum black so that the lid matches. But I could still be convinced otherwise . . .

Also, I found some cheap U-bolts, but they are zinc coated. Can I use them as is or do I need to "treat" them somehow?

Next question . . . is there any reason I wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't use a gate valve instead of a ball valve, outside of the fact that I would have to couple the valve farther away from the barrel so as to be able to get my hand around it?

From what I've gathered, I'll be connecting my valve using a 3/4" close pipe nipple. Is this correct? What size hole must I drill to thread the close nipple in tightly? Do I use a standard drill bit or some sort of metal hole saw?

Hoping to do most if not all of the build work this weekend. Made my charcoal basket last weekend.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
    Last edited by donnylove; 04-15-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: More info

http://facebook.com/yvBBQa

85 Gallon Black UDS - "Dokie"
    55 Gallon Black UDS - "Meat Dawg"
    30" Black MES
    Weber Gensis E-320
    Weber Smokey Joe

I like pig butts and I cannot lie . . .

Quote Originally Posted by donnylove View Post
    So . . . finally picked up my drum this morning. Though it was "painted", the paint job is very poor. I can still see some of the original blue through the black and there are runs. The question is . . . should i go the cheap route and just touch up the black. Or paint the whole thing silver to take advantage of the reflectivity. That's entirely up to you... How much difference do you all think the silver makes? I am planning on eventually (if not right away) using a kettle grill lid to increase my capacity. Presumably the kettle grill lid would be black (I've had zero luck finding a cheap used one), so I'm leaning toward just keeping the drum black so that the lid matches. Check ACE hardware, mine will order lids for me... But I could still be convinced otherwise . . .

Also, I found some cheap U-bolts, but they are zinc coated. Can I use them as is or do I need to "treat" them somehow? I think thet the temp will be low enough that you will be OK to use them.

Next question . . . is there any reason I wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't use a gate valve instead of a ball valve, outside of the fact that I would have to couple the valve farther away from the barrel so as to be able to get my hand around it? Gate valve would give you better throttle control, but would be a PITA to have to turn so many times. You may have to tinker with nipple lengths if you go that route.

From what I've gathered, I'll be connecting my valve using a 3/4" close pipe nipple. Is this correct? Yes What size hole must I drill to thread the close nipple in tightly? You can use a 1" hole I'd recommend a step drill, but you can get away with a 1"holesaw. If it's too loose, get some 3/4" conduit nuts and put 1 on the inside and one on the outside. Make sure you tighten them up as they come loose with the heat. Do I use a standard drill bit or some sort of metal hole saw?

Hoping to do most if not all of the build work this weekend. Made my charcoal basket last weekend.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
    Hope that helped, Good Luck with your build. Make sure to take some pix along the way....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

When Smoky and I built our drums, we used high temp silicon around where the valve connects to the drum. It has worked perfectly as I have seen no leakage there at all.

What are you using the u-bolts for?
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

U-bolts would be for setting the cooking grate on.

30" Black MES
    Weber Gensis E-320
    Weber Smokey Joe

So I found out today that my drum was "cleaned" with some sort of chemical, so I'll need to burn it out after all. I'm a little pissed about the condition of the drum in general. The website makes it sound like they're brought back to new condition (dents removed, painted, etc.) but there are plenty of dents and the paint job is shoddy at best. Maybe I just had an unrealistic expectation of what I was getting . . . unfortunately it's the only drum source I've been able to find, so I'm stuck with $40 for a dented drum that I do have to burn and paint after all.

That said, I'm excited to build the darn thing. In terms of "burning it out", do I need to have a full-on raging fire just to get rid of the chemicals it was washed with or can I just do a seasoning burn? If I have to have a raging burn, I'm not sure where I can do it. I don't think I dare do it in town here.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by donnylove; 04-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.

30" Black MES
    Weber Gensis E-320
    Weber Smokey Joe

You could probably get it up to about 400 with the vents and exhaust wide open....that should get rid of the nasties....let it burn like that for a couple hours....You might want to season it a different time because you don't wanna spray Pam into a hot drum.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Thanks for your help Joneser. Much appreciated.

So now that I've opened the drum, I'm a little suspicious that it might have a liner based on what I've read in some other threads about a beige color. It looks like paint to me, but it's definitely beige. How do I tell? Here are some pics.

Last edited by donnylove; 04-15-2009 at 08:24 PM.

30" Black MES
    Weber Gensis E-320
    Weber Smokey Joe

Dude, you got FORKED!

Take that thing back and get your money back.

40 bucks should get you a CLEAN reconditioned drum.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Problem is I don't have many other options . . . is that a plastic liner I'm working with?

30" Black MES
    Weber Gensis E-320
    Weber Smokey Joe

It's a liner...basically sprayed in to prevent corrosion. You're gonna have to burn it off or grind it off. Some people use a weed burner to burn it off with a measure of success. A nice raging open top fire will get a lot of it, but you may want to check your local laws.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast