» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 43

0 members and 43 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Smoke Ring

WSM w/Sand Pan - Plain
    1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring tasting.

WSM w/Sand Pan - Spritzed
    1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring tasting.

WSM w/Sand Pan - Brined
    1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Good meat flavor.
    (sorry, no photo)

WSM w/Sand Pan - Rubbed
    3/8 inch thick smoke ring. Tasted good.

WSM w/Sand Pan - Slathered and Rubbed
    3/8 inch thick smoke ring. Tasted good.

WSM w/Sand Pan - Brined, Slathered, Rubbed and Spritzed
    3/8 inch thick smoke ring - This one had the best bark and best flavor of all of the pieces today.

Oven - Plain
    No smoke ring at all. This was the most boring flavor of all of them.

Oven - Tenderquick rub
    5/8 inch thick smoke ring. This tasted OK. Nothing special.

Oven - Liquid Smoke and Tenderquick Rub
    5/8 inch thick smoke ring. This did not taste bad, but if I was sereved this anywhere I would never order it again. The smoke flavor did not taste like real smoke and was very subtle and kinda weird tasting. I would never mistake this for real smoked BBQ, no way, no how.

Oven - Cherry Wood Ash
    1/4 inch light colored smoke ring, but it was there! I did not taste it however.

(continued due to text and image limitations)
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

Two Irishmen walk out of a bar...

Just an observation, but IMHO the pieces you are going to spitz, may only get spitzed once. From their size I would think they will be done in 3 hrs., if not before.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

(continued from above)

I was surprised at how clear the results seem to be at initial glance. There are some noticeable patterns in these results. Here is what I am taking from this at first glance.

1. Cooking in a gas oven does not produce a smoke ring. (I knew this already though, but nobody can say I didn't include this)

2. Wood ash on meat does indeed form a smoke ring.

3. Meat cooked in an oven with Liquid Smoke could not fool anyone familiar with real BBQ.

4. Introducing extra moisture to the meat from a water pan, brining or spritzing has no effect on smoke ring penetration.

5. Adding a rub to the meat reduces penetration of the smoke ring. Slathers, spritzes and brines do not seem to cause any more reduction in the smoke ring, it appears to be just the rub that makes this difference.

-----------------------------------------------

Well, that's what happened folks. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Short One View Post
    Just an observation, but IMHO the pieces you are going to spitz, may only get spitzed once. From their size I would think they will be done in 3 hrs., if not before.
    I spritzed four times, starting at the 3 hour mark. The total cook time was roughly 6 hours, some came off a bit earlier, some later.
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

Did you read this? -

"During burning the nitrogen in the logs combines with oxygen (O) in the air to form nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitrogen dioxide is highly water-soluble. The pink ring is created when NO2 is absorbed into the moist meat surface and reacts to form nitrous acid. The nitrous acid then diffuses inward creating a pink ring via the classic meat curing reaction of sodium nitrite. The end result is a "smoke ring" that has the pink color of cured meat. Smoke ring also frequently develops in smokehouses and cookers that are gas-fired because NO2 is a combustion by-product when natural gas or propane is burned."

The smoke ring is just a color change, it has no flavor. And yes, it does form in gas smokers.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Yes, I read that. Why do you ask? One interesting thing to note is the absolute lack of a smoke ring in the plain piece cooked in the gas oven. So using natural gas to form a smoke ring seems to not hold water.
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

I always assumed (based on nothing but just kicking it around in my head a bit) that the amount of smoke ring, if any, you got from cooking with gas would probably have something to do with how "clean" of flame you had.

A nice clean flame would probably not have a high enough concentration of the chemicals necessary to contribute much to ring formation where as a "dirty" flame is going to give you a ring.

But, as I said, based on nothing other than just giving it some thought.........and very, very little at that.
    FBJ

If that's the case, then my propane grill might be a good candidate for making smoke rings right now. It's could use a cleaning as it's a bit dirty down by the burners.
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
    If that's the case, then my propane grill might be a good candidate for making smoke rings right now. It's could use a cleaning as it's a bit dirty down by the burners.
    Oh.......I am not saying that is the case........I am just saying that it what ran through my head.

I am fine with never knowing the truth on this. And if really pushed to take one side or the other, I would say that you won't get a ring with gas...........it feels good to take a stand.
    FBJ

LOL! I'm not taking sides either. I'm just an observer, I have no agenda.

I only do these kinds of experiments to find out for myself what happens. I was surprised by the wood ash smoke ring. I wasn't surprised by the lack of a smoke ring in my gas oven because I have made roasts of many kinds in my oven and have never once seen a smoke ring. This does not mean if someone were to disagree with me and say gas CAN create a smoke ring that I would say they are wrong. I would simply point to the roasts I have done, and this experiment to say that it sure as heck doesn't happen when I cook at home.

Get this, before doing this experiment, I actually debated with a guy on another forum that wood ash is NOT responsible for the smoke ring, but that it is the NO2 in the gases released from the burning wood converting into...blah, blah you have read this already but get the idea. The person I was debating with explained they are pretty old, have been around Q'ing for quite some time and that they knew they were right but would not disagree with me on the gasses, only that wood ash DOES create a smoke ring. I thought this person was nuts and is why I was eager to see the results of my experiment. Needless to say, I had to eat some crow after this experiment because, lo and behold, wood ash DOES in fact create a smoke ring.

So after this, I tend to keep a more open mind when debating these topics. If (for example) PeculiarMike was asking that question because he knows from first hand experience that a plain non-treated piece of meat cooked in his propane grill created a smoke ring, I would not argue with him about it. I would be intrigued to hear about it though because it differs from my results, and it would make me question why there is a difference, and maybe even experiment some more to find out if I felt like it.

As for what everyone else takes from any of my experiments, I just post them so that if someone would like to knwo what somebody found out first hand, then it is available to them. It all started with a lack of reliable information on what ingredients in rubs burned, or what caused them to burn. So after finding out I shared it with everyone so anyone wondering these questions would no longer have to wonder, they could either take my results or if they were not satisfied with that they can find out on their own. At least I gave them the option though.

Other than this sort of stuff though where you learn from someone who actually tested something to see if it was really true, or doing your own testing first hand, all there is as an alternative is getting advice from talking to people or reading what people post on the internet, which for me is not always a very reliable source of information. Yet I post my results on the internet, so isn't that ironic.
    Last edited by bigabyte; 12-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    Chris Baker
    Mad BBQ Scientist

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast