usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 96

4 members and 92 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smoke Ring

Not having the facts or anything to back up my theory here. But if the smoke doesn't penetrate the meat, then might it soak in via the moisture from the meat itself? Just some fat for ya'll to chew on while you work this out.

Do you have a plan to test any theories to prove or disprove any thoughts?

Q

[quote=Fatboy;2010]If you're only dealing in fact, then you need to remember that his opinion is only that, an opinion.

He deals in chemical reactions and scientific research to prove or disprove things, that is not opinion. Looks like fact to me.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Coming in late in the game, I hope no one objects to my observations.

It would appear to me that the man has credentials and that what he states is stated w/o evidence in this article. It may be fact, but is not stated as such in this article. If he cited conclusive evidence then it wouold be, once proven, fact. I say this while at the same time not questioning the man's information.

As to how the smoke flavor gets to the middle of the meat, that is an entirely different issue than smoke ring.

By my experience, smoke ring has nothing whatsoever to do with smoke flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Coming in late in the game, I hope no one objects to my observations.

As to how the smoke flavor gets to the middle of the meat, that is an entirely different issue than smoke ring.

By my experience, smoke ring has nothing whatsoever to do with smoke flavor.
    That was pretty much my nutshell statement.

The smoke ring is not a direct result of smoke penetration (or is not caused by), It is.............mikes description.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

I hereby request that we declare this to be until new evidence is and definitive clarification is submitted.

Like I said, I'm reserving judgement on the "penetration" thing.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

In response to Gluedtoit's question of how the smoke flavour can reach inside the meat, I would suggest the following:

Smoking is not just "dry heat" cooking; its a high humidity thing as well, and the water vapor will probably pick up some of the "smoke" and cause it to adhere to the meat.

The meat is not seared, and contains a good deal of liquid, that moves around the muscles by capillary action, and, logically, this would drag along the nitrates of the smoke into the interior of the meat, thus giving interior "cuts" a smokey taste, even if the "exterior" will have the strongest tasting "smoke" flavour.

When we evacuate a piece of meat from the cooker (be this oven, grill or smoker) we almosy always leave it sit for 20-40 minutes, that we don't instantly lose all the liquids that would otherwise pour out of it when its hot, the liquids "re-distribute" themselves in the meat, and wash the nitrates through it, giving the whole of the work a uniformly smokey taste.

Of course, I'm Canadian, and you guys will disbelieve this as a result....

John

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    You don't really expect an Iowa yankee to know anything about BBQ do you?:lol
    Some of us Iowans do know BBQ
    just my
    Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Doc Holliday: You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

http://gunrunnersqincrew.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner2491 View Post
    Some of us Iowans do know BBQ
    just my

All in good fun Gunrunner. We don't want to take anything too seriously around here. If we do, somebody might end up getting pissed off, and we can't have that.
    FB

There is some fact in your statement, I moved up here from South Texas in November. What I have noticed there are alot of gas grill owners up here. I have only met 1 other person who I believe has a passion for Great BBQ as I do, and I mean BBQ that is made slow and low with thin blue smoke. Granted I hope to meet other BBQ Passionists as my self, but only time will tell. I do spread the word of good BBQ and not what you get at a local drive thru. That is why I look foward to coming home from work and look foward to the new posts of the day. Let me get off my soap box, and apolagize if I offended anyone.
    Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Doc Holliday: You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

http://gunrunnersqincrew.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast