2 14.29%

3 21.43%

3 21.43%

4 28.57%

1 7.14%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Keep in mind that the greenery is not required for a KCBS comp. "Turns ins" are accepted with only the meat. Garnish should have NO bearing on the appearance score, per KCBS rules.

Were all of the judges at this contest cerified? You have a point that is a big spread in the judging scores. Generally certified judges are much more consistant. Then again no system is perfect and the KCBS system is about as fair as it can be considering how subjective the process is.

Just my .
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post
    It's not a nine, but for sure not a 6 in my book.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it as well.
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by jerry516planes View Post

Were all of the judges at this contest cerified? You have a point that is a big spread in the judging scores. Generally certified judges are much more consistant. Then again no system is perfect and the KCBS system is about as fair as it can be considering how subjective the process is.

Just my .
    None were CBJs.

While I'm not an expert by any means, I will offer up my opinion. I refuse to offer up a numerical judgement, as I didn't see it firsthand. Here are my amaturer opinions:

The fact that the thighs are not uniform in size was the first thing I noticed. Okie, you had mentoined that you thought about that when you first saw them nuff said.
    Even if the rules say you won't be judged by your garnish, don't assume that because of that, it won't have an influence on judging, as it is part of the plate.

The sauce isn't uniform in application, and seems almost as though it was poured on rather than brushed evenly. Would you want sombody to paint your house that way?

Just my two cents, and I am not by any means as expert when it comes to yardbird. Hope it helps.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

erain is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket erain will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Here's a pic of the turn in box for chix from the Stillwater comp.

following this thread up til now, if i may share my thoughts. again not a trained judge or ever been in a comp and dont know if thats even up my alley in the future. total green horn here ok, but looking at the pic the first thing i did see was the difference in size of the thighs as well, also the center right thigh and upper right thigh dont seem as well done as the rest. i am sure they are but to me visually they look a lil different than the rest.

as far as the parsley whether its needed or not, or even if its judged, probably if its there, its hard to not include it in the package deal. whether intentional or not. it sorta frames the whole thing and maybe a lil lacking here or there along with the size issue may have given a deduction in score. that still looks above average to me. but at a comp what is average would be my question??? it surely looks above average from this non participant. i wont vote as i am not qualified to do so.

still looks good to me tim!!!
    GOSM, soon to be with sfb
    MES
    Webber 22"
    Dutch Ovens and other CI

I thought it looked very presentable....Was Mr. Magoo one of the judges?
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Keep in mind that the greenery is not required for a KCBS comp. "Turns ins" are accepted with only the meat. Garnish should have NO bearing on the appearance score, per KCBS rules.
    Kev, thing is, if your gonna use it, it better look good.

No score here Tim as i am not a judge, but from a competitors perspective...

You HAVE to learn to trim your thighs. They have to be proportionly the same and you can cook 200 and not get the same 6 you need.

Sauce looks like it was dumped on, try more of a "glaze" and use the cooker to melt it in.

The lettuce is a mess with parsley making it worse. Do one or the other, not both, and it has to be flat to support the meat.
    Theres sauce gooped all over the greens, that may have been the reason for your scoring.
    I'm guessing the low scores were from more qualified judges.
    Hope i was helpful and not too critical.

Fork it, how bout an example.....

By imn88fan
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

The box was prebuilt originally with just lettuce. I know your not supposed to judge on the greenery but I'm sure it's always a factor. (like Chef S mentioned above.)

Seems to be with the parsley it's too hard to get it low enough to fit the chicken in it without the top smashing it. hence the lettuce.

I think I oversauced the pork too.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by erain View Post
    following this thread up til now, if i may share my thoughts. again not a trained judge or ever been in a comp and dont know if thats even up my alley in the future. total green horn here ok, but looking at the pic the first thing i did see was the difference in size of the thighs as well, also the center right thigh and upper right thigh dont seem as well done as the rest. i am sure they are but to me visually they look a lil different than the rest.

as far as the parsley whether its needed or not, or even if its judged, probably if its there, its hard to not include it in the package deal. whether intentional or not. it sorta frames the whole thing and maybe a lil lacking here or there along with the size issue may have given a deduction in score. that still looks above average to me. but at a comp what is average would be my question??? it surely looks above average from this non participant. i wont vote as i am not qualified to do so.

still looks good to me tim!!!
    Technically, they are supposed to only judge the meat for appearance, but I gues I am reminded now of my comparison to the fact that a pretty girl looks better in a pretty dress.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that it never occurred to me to trim some meat of the thighs to get that uniformity. If I had done that, then It would've solved the uniformity issue.

It was my plan to only use lettuce, but when I put the meat in, the edges looked bare. Anybody got any tips on how to place the lettuce to keep it even around the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    I thought it looked very presentable....Was Mr. Magoo one of the judges?
    I think perhaps it was the box preparer that was Mr Magoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
    Kev, thing is, if your gonna use it, it better look good.

No score here Tim as i am not a judge, but from a competitors perspective...

You HAVE to learn to trim your thighs. They have to be proportionly the same and you can cook 200 and not get the same 6 you need.

Sauce looks like it was dumped on, try more of a "glaze" and use the cooker to melt it in.

I tried setting the suace, and this sauce doesn't respond well to time in the smoker. This same chicken took 1st pace against stiff competition in Ponca City last fall so I sdon't know as I'm ready to change it up yet.

I don't know it if was the angle that I was looking from or what, but I did brush it on and it did look even from where I stood. Maybe it was the grease on my glasses?

The lettuce is a mess with parsley making it worse. Do one or the other, not both, and it has to be flat to support the meat.
    Theres sauce gooped all over the greens, that may have been the reason for your scoring.
    I'm guessing the low scores were from more qualified judges.
    Hope i was helpful and not too critical.

I only see sauce on one piece of lettuce, am I still missing it?

There were no qualified judges there, just the Local Elks members, and none of the CBJs.

And once again, I put it up there so that everybody could tear it apart!

Fork it, how bout an example.....

By imn88fan

I am also not going to score a number as I dont Forkin know!!!

But did learn alot about turn in boxes here!! Holy chit man, I had no idea they were that critical!!!! All this before they took a bite!!!!!!

If you close the lid on the box and get a lil sauce on the lid, is that a deduction??

Looks good to me Tim, you said you cooked 12 of em, so how the heck did they taste???? Doesnt that count for more than their green dresses???
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast