» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 46

0 members and 46 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

View Poll Results: How would you scoree this box? 6 is average

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll

1 7.14%

0 0%

0 0%

2 14.29%

3 21.43%

3 21.43%

4 28.57%

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by themeatpuppets View Post
    Its missing a piece of parsley in the lower left and the garnish could have been a little thicker there. Other then that it looks great Tim

The elk's score so random .
    You're right about the parsley. The right side middle could've used a piece or two as well. do you think that any of the judges really look that close at that type of thing?

I really don't think the parsley knocks it down to a 2 though.

Care to show your other boxes? I would love to see your pork box.
    I don't have the others, but I have PMed the4 other members to see if they got one. You know how it is, you get busy the clock ticks, you forget about pix and think about the turn in time.

I think we got a pic of the pork. If we got one of the ribs, I won't post it.

Also don't know about such things, but would the thighs being more equal in size have helped. Just my .

Here I'll do this so you don't have to Tim
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Ok, Tim, you're not going to like me for this but I give it a 5.

Thighs not equal size or shape
    Thighs not trimmed the best
    Color of skin not even...some are dark some are lighter
    Sauce not even and too thick
    Parsley missing in spots, thin in other spots, hanging over the side in another spots
    Sauce on top of greenery next to edge of box
    Arrangement of thighs in box could have been better ( Some of this due to unequal size and shape )

I told you that you wouldn't like my opinion. Sorry.
    Jim

Tim, let me say that I wasn't trying to be overly critical or that it wasn't a good turn-in. But, I see in your posts how important details are to you in your cooks. I don't know if you rushed or what, but it just didn't seem up to your normal attention to detail. Little things make a difference and I guess I'm not used to seeing you miss those little things.
    Jim

Keep in mind that the greenery is not required for a KCBS comp. "Turns ins" are accepted with only the meat. Garnish should have NO bearing on the appearance score, per KCBS rules.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

It's not a nine, but for sure not a 6 in my book.
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Keep in mind that the greenery is not required for a KCBS comp. "Turns ins" are accepted with only the meat. Garnish should have NO bearing on the appearance score, per KCBS rules.
    I understand this, but with that being said.....the overall neatness of the box will still be judged and even though garnish is not required and shouldn't make a difference, in most judges eyes a poorly garnished box will not look as neat and clean and take away from the overall appearance of the box. That's just human nature. That I guess is why some of the top guys sit and trim their garnish with little scissors to make that box as neat looking as possible.

Edit..... What I'm saying is, if you do use garnish, you want it to be neat and enhance the look of the box. You know what they say about first impressions.
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 04-05-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Jim

Did you put the pic in a box, if you did that would have been a dq'. You give team photos if you win not try to get good scores for your pic
    I used to work for a little privately owned company named Cargill. I love to see the stearling silver brand!
    "Maybe just one more last one."

Chargriller w/SFB
    GE "over the range" microwave oven
    Billy Mays "set it and forget it, as seen on TV" rotersirre oven
    Ugly Drum by Jonser

I with Kev on the sauce and agree 8 fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Great presentation. My only concern would be too much sauce. Looks just a touch too heavy. I'd have never given it a 6 though. Probaby an 8, maybe a 9 on appearance.

On edit: the greenery means nothing to me. It does do a nice job of keeping the pieces aligned though.
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
    Tim, let me say that I wasn't trying to be overly critical or that it wasn't a good turn-in. But, I see in your posts how important details are to you in your cooks. I don't know if you rushed or what, but it just didn't seem up to your normal attention to detail. Little things make a difference and I guess I'm not used to seeing you miss those little things.
    First off Jim, I saw that you voted a 5 in the poll, and I appreciate that.

Next let me say that I had hoped that you would weigh in. No one could possibly put together a turn in box with the perfection that you could. No, I'm serious.

And lastly let me say that if i didn't want folks to pick it apart, I wouldn;t have posted the poll, so everybody, pick away.

Here again, this is only a turn in box, not my wife or my sister.

I was aware of the fact that the thighs were not uniform in size. I trusted my meat supplier and I guess i shouldn't have. The thighs were frozen and cryovaced when I picked them up. I was very disappointed when I pulled them out to rub the. I considered going to the grocery store and buying some more to replace them, but I didn't.

There was also a definite lack of skin on them as well. I had it suggested that I might've trimmed some meat away to compensate for that, and next time I will. Out of 12 thighs, that was the best I could muster.

Personally, I still think that it was a better than average turn in box, but definitely not perfect.

There really is no criteria set forth by KCBS as to how to judge appearance other than trying to do it by whether or not it makes you want to pick it up and eat it. to quote the KCBS rep that did the judging clas I recently attended, this is BBQ, not an art contest. I can see that there are a few things I may want to watch.

Thank you for your input.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast