usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 20

5 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default basic duo mods started

Got the mods started today. Added larger tires to both ends to make it easier to move around. Lowe's assembly was poor at best. Not convinced CG's build much better. I loosened everything and squared things up the best I could. When I tried to run the new axle through, I found that the two outer holes on the legs lined up with each other, and the two inner holes lined up with each other, but the inner didn't line up with outer. When I ran the axle through one side, it was about two inches high when it got to the other side. That explains why the original wheels looked knock-kneed--they had to bend the axle to put it through the holes. I ended up wallering out the outer holes a bit to get things to line up.

Only three tmeters, 'cause that's all I could find in town. (Lowe's, HD, Academy, Wallyworld, Ace, Target) Lots of empty shelves. Will add the 4th when somebody gets them in stock. Aligned them so 225 is straight up.

I still want to add the stove gasket to the edges to try to get a better seal. Playing around in my head with a collapsible shelf, so the cover will still go on.

Fired it up after putting it back together. Things had gotten a "bit" moist during the process. One burner on the gas side doesn't light. I'll have to check into that when it warms back up.

UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Nice looking tires. I need to get some like that for my CG. I can't believe the axle holes were that out of whack. It was probably built @ 3:00 on a Friday before a 3 day weekend.
    Those are pretty good looking thermos, nice placement. Didja calibrate them?
    (check them in boiling water, should be (100C/212F)
    I still need to seal up my CGSP. I've been eyeballing this oven gasket that has a flange on it that I could rivet to the smoker to give it a good seal. I wish CG would pay more attention to customer feedback. They really don't have to do much more to a decent smoker to make it a great smoker.
    See, I didn't think you were as lazy as you claim, unless you did all these mods wit a beer in one hand, from a recliner...
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Great job on the tires!!!

Also like the therms, that is exactly what I did and you will be surprised on the difference reading!!! When you get around to it during a burn laid a probe in there on the rack near the food and compare temp off digital probe vs. your door therms. That will dial ya right in!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

That's looking real good. I bought a smoker from Lowe's a few years back pre-assembled and must agree with you. Their assembly of the thing left a lot to be desired.

I hope you get to fire that beauty up soon!
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    That's looking real good. I bought a smoker from Lowe's a few years back pre-assembled and must agree with you. Their assembly of the thing left a lot to be desired.

I hope you get to fire that beauty up soon!
    GOSM???

My CG was preassembled by Menards, loosened and tighten everything up, if you walked by it it would sway on its legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    GOSM???

My CG was preassembled by Menards, loosened and tighten everything up, if you walked by it it would sway on its legs.
    My GOSM came from Wal-Mart. My Chargriller came from Lowe's. I had to knock out the plate between the cooking chamber and the firebox. I guess the guys up there just need a bit more training.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Having the forums available with so many great ideas makes the thinking part of the mods easy. I appreciate all who have posted through the years with their mods--successful and less than successful both.

I did a bit, but was still too lazy to put the chimney mod in. I left the flex-duct (had to buy it HD in the plumbing section. Don't these companies have anyone in charge of merchandising??) laying on a chair in the dining room and didn't find it until I was in "job done" mode. Wouldn't have taken me that long to take it back out and put it on... It's still laying on a chair in the dining room.

Yeah, I calibrated the tmeters. GC hood tmeter reading about 30 degrees hotter than the new ones. I used a piece of pipe strap and bent it to fit across the pan just above the boiling water. Dropped the tmeter stems throught the holes and let them sit. Didn't want to have to stand there and hold them.

The tires are HarborJunk specials. On sale, had an email coupon for 20% off and an ad coupon for 15% off. (I tried to get 20% off the 15% off sale price, but cashier was too sharp) The two axles cost more than the tires. One unplated, one plated axle. Lowe's had one plated one left, mismarked--got it for $2.50

Fired it up in the snow today to experiment. Kept it between 210-250 from 10 am to 6pm. More consistency from me would help. Started with about 15 briquettes, adding 8-10 every 50 minutes or so seemed to keep it pretty steady. Dropped as low as 180 once when I forgot to check it, got has high as 300 trying to recover from that. I've got a small butt in plastic wrap in the fridge I'm going to cook indirect tomorrow.

Somebody mentioned the unit they picked at Menards would sway if you walked by. This was just about as bad. When they wheeled it out to load it, the guy just picked it up by the legs on one end and moved it around like a hand truck. I could hear the grates falling around inside the chambers...

The girls just came in with a bowl of snow to make snow ice cream. They said it had an "odd" taste--not bad, just "odd". I tried a spoonful--ever had smoked ice cream?? They had set a bowl on the side burner area of the Duo to catch snow all day. I never even thought about the smoke...
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    My GOSM came from Wal-Mart. My Chargriller came from Lowe's. I had to knock out the plate between the cooking chamber and the firebox. I guess the guys up there just need a bit more training.
    Nope we had to do the same to add our SFB, actually I have an older model CG than most, the CG legs appear to go up inside the drum itself, not wrap around like a cradle. The thing I like is the thicker gauge steel on the older ones!!

Were you talkin about an electric smoker at some point??? May have to did for the thread.

So how do you like the Duo ? You've had it for awhile now. Saw the Duo at Lowes last week and almost bought it. Had never heard of it before so I passed on it for that price. $299.00
    Tim

FUGLY= UDS ( Living Up To It's Name )
    GOSM
    Traeger BBQ 150 ... "La Pooper"
    Silver Smoker w/mods
    Brinkmann Gourmet w/mods
    Homemade Fridge Smoker
    Brinkmann Smoke N' Pit
    Big Easy Turkey Fryer
    Much Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_1 View Post
    So how do you like the Duo ? You've had it for awhile now. Saw the Duo at Lowes last week and almost bought it. Had never heard of it before so I passed on it for that price. $299.00
    You should be able to buy the Duo WITH side firebox for $300. Got mine at Academy for that amount. Lowes has lowered their price here locally, they were way too high.
    And I like it. It does what I want it to and that is all that matters.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast