Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 43

8 members and 35 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

View Poll Results: Grillin Beer brats, simmered before or after

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simmer your brats in beer before grilling

18 58.06%
  • Simmer your brats in beer after grilling

13 41.94%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Grilling Beer Brats

Wanted to get a poll going as it appears this can go either way with heavy discussion on both sides.

When I started cooking brats with my dad we always made a concoxtion of beer, spices, peppers and onions on the stove. Inserted the sausages and let them fill up with the liquid. We then grilled them.

Years later I read info on doing the reverse. Now I put my concoxtion on the grill to warm. Brown the sausages and put them into the beer on the grill till ready. I have never looked back.

In a discussion with a friend we got to talkin about who was right, now of course this has turned into a cookoff this summer!!!

I just wanted to know how you all did your beer brats?

Thanks for readin.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 04-02-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Wanted to get a poll going as it appears this can go either way with heavy discussion on both sides.

When I started cooking brats with my dad we always made a concoxtion of beer, spices, peppers and onions on the stove. Inserted the sausages and let them fill up with the liquid. We then grilled them.

Years later I read info on doing the reverse. Now I put my concoxtion on the grill to warm. Brown the sausages and put them into the beer on the grill till ready. I have never looked back.

In a discussion with a friend we got to talkin about who was right, now of course this has turned into a cookoff this summer!!!

I just wanted to know how you all did your beer brats?

Thanks for readin.
    Man, that's a great topic! I think this process is used for the wrong reasons these days. If you ask the German's around these parts, they tell you to boil them in beer and finish on the grill to crisp and flavor. I think you find people doing just the opposite to avoid over cooking them brats while doing something else more important than manning their station. They just grill until they look right, then drop them in the hot tub and forget about them until they need them. So, as you could probably tell, I'm a boil before grill kinda guy.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

I like throwing them in a beer bath on te cooler side of the grill after grilling...seem to even out the cooking and sucks up the beer and spices. I'll usually throw them back onto the fire for a quick crisp-up.
    If you need a judge for the cook-off, gimme a holler!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

We always simmered them first in a pan with beer, onions and peppers. Kept the pan on one end of the grill, then when ready to eat, take out a brat and grill it along with some of the onions and peppers ( sometimes on a piece of foil with holes punched in it to keep from falling through the grate ), then into the bun slathered with spicy mustard.
    Jim

We always boil them in beer and onion ( a good place to use your old onion butts) to render some of the fat so that they don't split when you grill them.

What we really like to do is to then bring them back to the pan and simmer until the beer/ now dissolved onion/grease forms a thick syrupy glze that coats the still crisp brats.

So you see, I can;t vote, cuz for us , it isn;t either one, but rather both.

And BTW, if you haven't ever tried them this way, you really ought to.

I always boil first in beer and onions and if i'm doing a bunch of them, I put them back in the pot while grilling the rest so they stay hot and don't dry out. The second bath also adds more flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    So you see, I can;t vote, cuz for us , it isn;t either one, but rather both.
    Well, I can't vote cuz I've never simmered in beer. Mine have always been grill 'n eat. I guess we even it out.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

I agree with Okie. Simmer in beer, grill, and then hold them for a while in the beer, butter and onion goodness. MMMMmmmmm, beer and brats. Somebody from Wisconsin should weigh in.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Not many did the brat hot tub thing until Johnsonville started using it in their TV ads. Now it's everywhere. And it works.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

I thought this would get some conversation going and it did!!

Rob you have to try it in some beer, either before after or both but at least try it, .

SOkie, I will have to give that one a shot! Sounds good.

We love the texture of the once crisp skin then expanded in the mixture slapped onto a bun, that is just how we roll, but I know different strokes for different folks and I will have to keep that in mind!!

Welp almost 2 to 1, simmer before hand, hummmmmmmmmm.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast