usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

3 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Posts: 157,535
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruskin, FL
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    Excellent write-up, Tom!
    Looks like you have really good helpers there. Good to see things like this getting passed down to the younger generation.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Great job on the thread Tom, step by step.



    Your helpers a keep too mister! When are ya sending me a sample of dem sticks??
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.




  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Glad you guys enjoyed the tut. Hopefully you can use it.
    I do need to add that the encapsulated citric acid is added at .12 oz/lb of meat. I tried to edit the tut, but apparently since it's been "stuck," I can't change it.
    Tom

    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

    Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA, Michigan
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Oh I am giving this a try for sure. but I wonder if I can get away from using a cure?

    Probably not.
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Derek View Post
    Oh I am giving this a try for sure. but I wonder if I can get away from using a cure?

    Probably not.
    You could if you were going to do everything including cook them within 4 hours. The end result IMO would be a dried, shriveled up stick that mostly tastes like smoke and nothing else. I prefer mine slow smoked/dried for several hours. Usually takes me at least 8 and sometimes all day.
    Tom

    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

    Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruskin, FL
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    Good advice, Tom....Derek is on a low/no salt diet and I think he's trying to figure out how to do this without adding salt...any suggestions?
    Great to see you here again...We've missed you!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Good advice, Tom....Derek is on a low/no salt diet and I think he's trying to figure out how to do this without adding salt...any suggestions?
    Great to see you here again...We've missed you!
    The salt contained in Prague powder is just a carrier. Added in proper amounts, it's really negligible as far as sodium goes. Most all the sodium is in the seasoning and not in the cure.
    I have no suggestions other than to mix up you're spices with no or much less salt, then take a teaspoon at a time and add other ingredients and taste it. Salt does so many wonderful things to food, it's hard to do without it. But, experimentation is key. Try varying amounts of ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, even crushed green grapes. Whatever it takes to eat AND live. I have some green bell pepper powder from our garden that has a bit of a zesty flavor.
    Tom

    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

    Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA, Michigan
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You could if you were going to do everything including cook them within 4 hours. The end result IMO would be a dried, shriveled up stick that mostly tastes like smoke and nothing else. I prefer mine slow smoked/dried for several hours. Usually takes me at least 8 and sometimes all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Good advice, Tom....Derek is on a low/no salt diet and I think he's trying to figure out how to do this without adding salt...any suggestions?
    Great to see you here again...We've missed you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The salt contained in Prague powder is just a carrier. Added in proper amounts, it's really negligible as far as sodium goes. Most all the sodium is in the seasoning and not in the cure.
    I have no suggestions other than to mix up you're spices with no or much less salt, then take a teaspoon at a time and add other ingredients and taste it. Salt does so many wonderful things to food, it's hard to do without it. But, experimentation is key. Try varying amounts of ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, even crushed green grapes. Whatever it takes to eat AND live. I have some green bell pepper powder from our garden that has a bit of a zesty flavor.
    Thanks a lot Sir for you're wonderful advice.

    I've also talked to my local butcher and he remdmmends a teaspoon of prago curing salt to a 6-7 pound batch and for the basic flavor salt such as kosher I am only going to add about a teaspoon of that as well.

    even though the recipe calls for 5 Tablespoons.

    But lightly seasoned is OK for me. I will still be able to stay out of the hospital and have my beloved pepperoni on my pizza or in snack form such as you're awesome write up here.
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. NW stick burner
    By Cacus in forum C'mon In & Sit Down
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
  2. Afternoon snack...
    By Butt Lover's in forum Pork
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
  3. stick burner
    By welder in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 08:12 PM
  4. stick burner vs. SFB
    By SmokinTexas in forum Stickburners
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1