usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

3 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Excellent write-up, Tom!
    Looks like you have really good helpers there. Good to see things like this getting passed down to the younger generation.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Great job on the thread Tom, step by step.

Your helpers a keep too mister! When are ya sending me a sample of dem sticks??
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Glad you guys enjoyed the tut. Hopefully you can use it.
    I do need to add that the encapsulated citric acid is added at .12 oz/lb of meat. I tried to edit the tut, but apparently since it's been "stuck," I can't change it.
    Tom

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

Oh I am giving this a try for sure. but I wonder if I can get away from using a cure?

Probably not.
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Derek View Post
    Oh I am giving this a try for sure. but I wonder if I can get away from using a cure?

Probably not.
    You could if you were going to do everything including cook them within 4 hours. The end result IMO would be a dried, shriveled up stick that mostly tastes like smoke and nothing else. I prefer mine slow smoked/dried for several hours. Usually takes me at least 8 and sometimes all day.
    Tom

Smoker:

Good advice, Tom....Derek is on a low/no salt diet and I think he's trying to figure out how to do this without adding salt...any suggestions?
    Great to see you here again...We've missed you!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Good advice, Tom....Derek is on a low/no salt diet and I think he's trying to figure out how to do this without adding salt...any suggestions?
    The salt contained in Prague powder is just a carrier. Added in proper amounts, it's really negligible as far as sodium goes. Most all the sodium is in the seasoning and not in the cure.
    I have no suggestions other than to mix up you're spices with no or much less salt, then take a teaspoon at a time and add other ingredients and taste it. Salt does so many wonderful things to food, it's hard to do without it. But, experimentation is key. Try varying amounts of ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, even crushed green grapes. Whatever it takes to eat AND live. I have some green bell pepper powder from our garden that has a bit of a zesty flavor.
    Tom

Smoker:

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You could if you were going to do everything including cook them within 4 hours. The end result IMO would be a dried, shriveled up stick that mostly tastes like smoke and nothing else. I prefer mine slow smoked/dried for several hours. Usually takes me at least 8 and sometimes all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The salt contained in Prague powder is just a carrier. Added in proper amounts, it's really negligible as far as sodium goes. Most all the sodium is in the seasoning and not in the cure.
    I have no suggestions other than to mix up you're spices with no or much less salt, then take a teaspoon at a time and add other ingredients and taste it. Salt does so many wonderful things to food, it's hard to do without it. But, experimentation is key. Try varying amounts of ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, even crushed green grapes. Whatever it takes to eat AND live. I have some green bell pepper powder from our garden that has a bit of a zesty flavor.
    Thanks a lot Sir for you're wonderful advice.

I've also talked to my local butcher and he remdmmends a teaspoon of prago curing salt to a 6-7 pound batch and for the basic flavor salt such as kosher I am only going to add about a teaspoon of that as well.

even though the recipe calls for 5 Tablespoons.

But lightly seasoned is OK for me. I will still be able to stay out of the hospital and have my beloved pepperoni on my pizza or in snack form such as you're awesome write up here.
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2