Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

5 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Glued2it I just lay the piece of smoking wood on top, I will try burring half of it next time.

Tim I am using the minion method, are you suggesting that I just pour the lit briquetts on top of the lump instead of placing it down in the coffee can?

Luv smellin TBS

48 patio Lang
    UDS
    GOSM gas
    Weber Silver
    ECB

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    GD, your prollem sounds to be a matter of too much fire mass. The more fuel you have involved in combustion at one time, the more trouble you will have like you are describing.

I think you will find that if you start about 1/4 chimney and then carefully place it on top of the fuel pile, you will have a lot less prollem. When the fire has to burn downward and outward into the pile, you won't have near as much of the mass involved in combustion at one time.

You will most likely experience a noticeable improvement in the flavor of the food as well.
    I agree. You want the fire to burn down and out. You don't want it burning from the whole inside and bottom.

Next time, fill your charcoal basket all the way, then take about 10-12 briquettes out of the middle on top. Light them in a chimney til burning and grayed over then pour them back into the basket where they came from. Then put the basket in the drum. This will give you a more controlled burn and will give you better burn times.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbledot View Post
    Glued2it I just lay the piece of smoking wood on top, I will try burring half of it next time.

Tim I am using the minion method, are you suggesting that I just pour the lit briquetts on top of the lump instead of placing it down in the coffee can?
    Yea, you want submerge the wood into the lump. as it burns outward the tip of the wood will always be at the edge of the fire.

When I light the drum with a torch I light a small section basically the diameter of a large coffee can on top of the pile.
    That's all it takes. Just a little heat to get it going.

You should be able to open your ball valve all the way and it not overheat to where you have to shut it down to cool it.
    You should only have to adjust it to to get the right temp you want.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

I think that if you ask Mr minion, he will tell you to place the lit coals on top of the pile.

Think of it this way. If you light the bottom of the pile it will spread outward and upward. A fire with an updraft toward the fuel will grow much faster than a fire with no fuel above it.

A fire started on top will also burn outward, but the outward burn has no fuel above it and thus will not spread to the entiore pile of fuel at the same rate, and when it does burn outward, all the fuel above the newly ignited coals will already be spent.

I use a long small torch to light the top and center of the pile like Glued2it never guess where he got the idea), but the end result is the same.

Hey Thanks guys, hope I didnt hijack the orginal thread. I think you all have once again found my problem. Thanks a bunch !! You have gave me another idea, I dont need to light the briquets in a chimney I can just light some of the lump on top with my torch....

Luv smellin TBS

48 patio Lang
    UDS
    GOSM gas
    Weber Silver
    ECB

Hey Thanks guys, hope I didnt hijack the orginal thread. I think you all have once again found my problem. Thanks a bunch !! You have gave me another idea, I dont need to light the briquets in a chimney I can just light some of the lump on top with my torch....
    No hijack problem here. All the info i can get will help me when i start smoking !! And watching the weather here, I should be able to finish building both my UDS's !!!!

G, keep this in mind, if you are buying a skid of coal might as well go with the lump, you will have plenty to experiment with.

Also, you can use it to grill with!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

I use both briquets and lump charcoal based on what cooker I'm using and what type of a burn I'm going for. If I want a long low temp burn briquets work great and there is plenty of product out there that doesn't use coal or limestone as a filler, ash is light.

If i want higher pit temps I will use lump. The ides that is lump therefore some how better is not the case always, I have seen lots of crap in bags of lump charcoal including plywood chunks, wood that has had some kind of finish on it.

Learn to use both and can use the coals to your advantage.

After years of cooking with original Kingsford and many turn-ins in blind judging situations I can say for sure that the product produced can be very good to outstanding. Your mileage may very but I would not limit myself to one type of caols.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Without reading all the posts, here's the difference. Lump burns at 1,100*, briquets burn at 750*. Lump is pure fuel where as briquets have a lot of fillers (hence the cooler temp); briquettes turn grey when they are lit because they have a lot of ground limestone in them; they add that so the briquet's turn grey. That's why ash from briquets are so heavy and from lump will blow away in a breeze. Because lump is pure fuel, it burns a lot longer than briquets.

Lump can burn hotter than briquettes if allowed to. They say the limestone is for the gray color, but then let me ask you, which is cheaper, charcoal, or driveway dust?

Pound per pound though, and generally speaking, lump contians more BTUs than briquettes.

there Bill, did I say it right?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast