» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 47

0 members and 47 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default first project and yess its gonna be a reverse flow!

hi everyone I'm new to the pit building world and just finished my fire box its 48"X24". Yes its big but going to use it on a 250 gallon propane tank. Let me know what everyone thinks about it I'm a little concerned about the size of the size of the airflow, I hope its big enough.
    Attached Images

Not sure if it's too little...I don't have any experience with big pits like that. It looks like it will be very nice!
    Stop in to C'mon in and sit down to introduce yourself.
    Glad to have you here!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

IMO...WAY to big.
    Cut it in half and you'll need twice the intake for a 250 gallon smoker.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Howdy, Matt! Welcome! Stop by the Come In & Sit Down forum and tell us a bit about yourself and your other equipment.

I don't have experience with big pits, especially building one, so I can't help. But I'm looking forward to seeing everything come together.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

the only guy I know with a 250 gallon has a 30 x 30 square firebox but its older and not reverse fllow

I'm with Bubba - WAY too big.
    From a CD I have on building smokers -

Large fireboxes have much more surface area than smaller fireboxes, so they dissipate more heat to the surrounding atmosphere than does a smaller firebox. (Heat which does not contribute to the actual cooking of the meat is simply wasted heat, which equals wasted wood.) After many trials and errors, it was discovered that a firebox only needs to be 16 inches tall and 16 inches wide, with lengths ranging from 18 to 24 inches.

The above firebox will handle your 250 gal. tank with no problem. I made mine 16" square by 21" deep. The other consideration is -

The key element in a horizontal smoker involves the sizes of the fire box air inlet, the smoke inlet into the smoke chamber, and the smoke outlet. The opening of each should be about 23 to 24 square inches or larger. Six inch outside diameter pipe has an effective opening of about 23.76 square inches, and five by seven inch rectangular tubing has an effective opening of about 29.25 square inches. Dampers are placed on the firebox air inlet and the smoke outlet in order to regulate the heat and smoke flowing through the unit.

The above will also be sufficent for your 250 gal. tank. The opening from the firebox into the smoke chamber has to be located below the cooking grates and the exhaust should be located the same, or even with, the cooking grates. You may need a "deflector" on the firebox to smoke chamber opening to allow control of flames entering the smoke chamber.
    If you want info on ordering the CD ($15) (which I have NO connection to) send me a PM and I will get it to you. I highly recommend it, lot of good information, drawings, and explanations of why things are done the way they are. And you get a BUNCH of recipes with it.
    And it might make you rethink reverse flow.
    Whatever you do, keep us posted on your progress.
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Default well I have my reasons why the firebox is so big

Me and my wife do a few fundraisers a year and when we cook we usually cook beteen 15 and 20 briskets at a time and im up half the night babysitting the firebox so i want to beable to stuff it full of wood and get a good nights rest while the meat is smoking.That is why i decided to build it this big because ive seen the problems with the pits ive borrowed in the past. i was just wondering if the airflow hole will be big enough.

Personally, I'd be afraid of ruining meat by letting the fire get away....I have BBQOCD like that..I guess you could sleep with a remote thermo under your pillow....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by matt4467 View Post
    Me and my wife do a few fundraisers a year and when we cook we usually cook beteen 15 and 20 briskets at a time and im up half the night babysitting the firebox so i want to beable to stuff it full of wood and get a good nights rest while the meat is smoking.That is why i decided to build it this big because ive seen the problems with the pits ive borrowed in the past. i was just wondering if the airflow hole will be big enough.
    A larger firebox doesn't mean less fire tending, it just means more heat, and wasted heat at that!
    No, your intakes aren't sufficent to operate a 250 gallon, especially if you go reverse flow, needs even more of a draft!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

"If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast