Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 45

3 members and 42 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 2,911
Threads: 13,627
Top Poster: PigCicles (9,703)
Welcome to our newest member, oksprint
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thank you Joneser for the Lump Charcoal info!!

Again, this is why this site wins. In a discussion about lump charcoal last week, Joneser (Brian) brought up a resource that I could use to get the lump coal I was looking for. Well this weekend we checked it out and BAM there is was, a great new resource for lump like 5 min. from my house (he even told me where it was at). GFS lump at the GFS store (duh), Merrillville IN, I didnt even know they existed.

Wanted to take the time to say thanks and show some folks on this website what a great resource it is (if ya didnt know already!).

Like a extension of my family, awwwww I love you guys man!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

I spent a week in Merrilville one afternoon.

Glad I could help, Trav! Did it perform for you? From what I understand the folks at Royal Oak make it for GFS. Seems to work good for my needs. The only thing I don't like is the ocasional huge plank that will slide out and create a ramp that diverts all my lump to the ground...other than that, I can't complain.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

GFS (made by Royal Oak) is some good stuff. Been using Ozark Oak at the advice of the Okie here. That may be better.

Always thought is link was good for charcoal.. maybe it is the same you mention.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com./lump.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Again, this is why this site wins. In a discussion about lump charcoal last week, Joneser (Brian) brought up a resource that I could use to get the lump coal I was looking for. Well this weekend we checked it out and BAM there is was, a great new resource for lump like 5 min. from my house (he even told me where it was at). GFS lump at the GFS store (duh), Merrillville IN, I didnt even know they existed.

Wanted to take the time to say thanks and show some folks on this website what a great resource it is (if ya didnt know already!).

Like a extension of my family, awwwww I love you guys man!!
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

Quote Originally Posted by flying illini View Post
    GFS (made by Royal Oak) is some good stuff. Been using Ozark Oak at the advice of the Okie here. That may be better.

Always thought is link was good for charcoal.. maybe it is the same you mention.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com./lump.htm
    Glen, even not knowing Royal oak sucks. I have had to resort to GFS that is so much better,.......i guess\

here we go again. Glen we just wish we could get what ya alll had to offer!

But for real, I didnt have any lump off season so this is a new source!!

Hey Brian,

Great stuff even if it is RO I cant get it off season so I love it!! Bout the same as RO and remember I dont have a prob with RO at all

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Glad I could help, Trav! Did it perform for you? From what I understand the folks at Royal Oak make it for GFS. Seems to work good for my needs. The only thing I don't like is the ocasional huge plank that will slide out and create a ramp that diverts all my lump to the ground...other than that, I can't complain.

GFS lump, Best Choice Lump, Royal Oak Lump = All the same thing
    GFS & Best Choice are just Royal Oak packaged in a store brand bag at a cheaper price.
    Glad you found a source Trav!
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Hey Trav, use what satisfies you. personally, I don;t think RO lump is bad. Their briqs, well that's a different story. I would really like to try their commercial all hardwood briqs, but I can;t get it down here.

give me an order before you come down and I'll bring you some Ozark Oak.

Wicked Good Charcoal Competition Blend is the best lump I've ever used; it burns forever and has a very neutral flavor. Last I heard you cant get it anymore but I see it's still on the nakid wiz site http://www.nakedwhiz.com./lumpdatabase/lumpbag25.htm

Over the years I've noticed lump from Brazil tends to be real high end stuff. Royal Oak even had a Brazilian variety that rates far above their other stuff.

I avoid the S.A hardwood blends because of the sparks and cinders that I have experienced with them.

I've never tried the WGC, and I am also aware that there is more than one kind of S.A hardwood tree.

I have experienced several S.A. blends though, and they all seem very similar. In fact, if you read the label carefully, you will find that some of the RO lump is S.A blend adn it behaves totally differently than the domestic blend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast